What's wrong with my rooster? *pic*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LaynaDon95, May 24, 2012.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Songster

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    My rooster's whole vent area is bright red and feverish. I haven't seen him mate anyone in a while. I'm not sure what it is. Do any of you have ideas?
    (Sorry he's a little messy, he tried poop while he was upside down...)

[​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
  3. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Songster

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Hmm. Might be it. I haven't notice any swelling, lethargy, etc. The hen he was with (I was trying to breed them.) stopped laying for about a week, but as soon as I let her out of the tractor she went to lay an egg. I guess I'll have to watch them and see. They aren't showing many symptoms. I gave them electrolytes a few days ago that had a lot of the things they list on the link and I have more, so if they end up needing them that won't be a problem.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  4. cgmccary

cgmccary Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    It looks like vent gleet. Mites can also cause such redness but that usually occurs on the skin around the area & a larger area.

For vent gleet, gently clean with a wound wash rinse and pat dry with a gauze. Then put provodone iodine in a spray bottle and spray on it. I have also used monostat cream in conjunction with this. Do this for at least a week or until completely gone. I fed my yogurt during this period too & withdraw any water containing vinegar added. You do not want it to get any worse or it may not be reversible.

One other thing: if you can get your vet to sell you some Ketoconazole, 200 mg tablets, then give 1/4 tablet once each day for a week -- this is very effective (especially when done with the above).

5. WasabiChicki

WasabiChicki Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern California
    I'm not saying this is or isn't gleet because I don't have first hand experience w/it (though that might be a different story tomorrow after I examine the rears of my poopy hens)
    But what I did want to say is that on the link listed above, it mentions that gleet is uncommon yet I have seen or read of at least a dozen cases in the last month. Would the weather have anything to do w/ it? I don't know about where ya'll are, but this Spring sure has been weird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: