What's wrong with my rooster???

ckw1205

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 28, 2010
I have what I think is a Rhode Island Red rooster...he was given to me by a friend's father who has a lot of chickens, so I feel he was correct with telling me he is a roo. Anyways, he is much larger than my hens, but no large comb (not sure what it's called...new to chickens), and absolutely no crowing...although he has been doing this weird honking noise for the past three days...almost sounds like a mix b/t a duck and a cough. I am beginning to think he is either a hen or he is getting sick, or both...please give advice...thank you in advance, and have a blessed day!

welcome-byc.gif

Does it sound at all like a growl, a trill, or a chook chook? All those sounds are normal, but what you're describing. . . Not sure what to say on that. Usually any behavior to worry about would be excessive sneezing, choking, or such along those lines. Otherwise young roosters especially can go through some pretty funny stages of noise-making.

It really sounds like a honk...dont know how else to describe it...sorry...I am concerned he is sick, but he is "acting' okay o/t this noise...also, shouldnt he be doing more by now?? He is huge...bigger than our cat...

I have a 16 week old Barred Rock roo that sometimes honks like a goose. Just a noise he makes. I know he's not sick been going on for a while at first kinda freaked me out. He also has just started to crow once in awhile. They make all kinds of weird noises.
welcome-byc.gif

It may just be his teenage warning call. . . I'm sure its a normal sound and he's just fine. My boys, when young, can sound a lot like weird geese or something.
smile.png

Thanks for the reassuring... have something else today... we have noticed for a few days some loose stool in the coop, and Im thinking it is from him...they are all eating fine and acting ok other than for the past two days they havent wanted to leave the coop without coaxing...there have been loggers right by the coop for a few days, so I was just thinking it was the loggers.

Back
Top Bottom