1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's wrong with my rooster?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickincrazy, Feb 20, 2014.

1. chickincrazy

chickincrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    I have a barred rock roo that I've had for about two years. When I first got him, he seemed to have something in his eye. I looked in it several times and tried to get the invisible irritant out, but I couldn't see anything. Now he's much older and still has the same problem in the same eye. His eye is constantly runny and it almost looks like his eyelid is too small for his eye! It's not eye worm, he has no white gunk coming out of his eye, and around here a case of eye worm is super rare. What's wrong with him??? [​IMG]

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Could be different things,have you ever used an eye antibiotic ointment for an eye infection?

3. chickincrazy

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    An experienced poultry keeper told me to put vet rx in his eye and on the cleft in his mouth for a few days. I tried but he didn't improve...
    I would be totally open to herbal remedies because I really don't have the money to spend going to the vet:(

4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    It's very hard to guess what might be going on with your roo... can you get a photo of the problem? Maybe it can help someone figure it out.

5. chickincrazy

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    Sorry it takes me so long to reply[​IMG] I only get on the computer every other day. Anyways, I will try to get pics soon!

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

7. chickincrazy

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    Thanks! I'll look at it! :)

8. chickincrazy

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    BTW I did and I learned a lot BUT, none of the description last fit my roo's symptoms... I have no idea what's the matter with him...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by