What's wrong with my rooster's legs?

EMarston

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 22, 2010
My 10 pound barred rock rooster appears to have red and swollen "knee" joints that seem to be making him lame. Both of his feet and both of his legs also appear to be swollen. He now chooses not to roost at night and is prone to episodes of tipping over--almost like he has a "trick knee". He flaps his wings to right himself and then goes back to his usual business, though he appears to walk more gingerly then.

He otherwise seems to be fine, except for what appear to be painful legs. He is still chasing (and usually catching) the hens, eating and drinking, crowing, and doing other rooster-like things. His eyes are bright, feathers normal.

I am not sure what this is and whether or not it is treatable...or contagious...

Help!

Thanks,

Erica in MN

Have you looked up gout? I know little/nothing about it, but I've seen it mentioned here in relation to swollen feet/legs/joints. Do a search here for it and see if the symptoms are same/similar.

I just looked up gout (both acute and visceral) in The Chicken Health Handbook and the symptoms don't seem to match up. Thanks for the idea, though!

I read about scaly leg mites and thought that might be a real possibility but didn't know for sure if the scales on his legs were raised because I don't have another barred rock or another rooster to compare his legs with. I will look into this further--thanks so much!!

If anyone else looks at these pics and can tell for sure if the scales look raised (or not), please weigh in!

Just remember that you won't see results right away when you treat scaly leg mites...but apply your chosen oil every day up to the feathers on the legs - I've heard for as long as two weeks. Then you can stop. You're essentially drowning the mites. The scales will take awhile to "heal" but the mites will be gone. I think it takes up to a month to really SEE the difference. Oh, and I understand that it helps - at least the first time - to soak their legs in warm epsom salt water to soften their scales up and make it easier to get the oil/vaseline/whatever in there.

Yeah, its scaly leg mites. He probably isn't sleeping good. It takes a while to see results. I would do what klmclain1 says, and treat him with one drop of kitten flea and tick medication. Put it between his shoulders, right at the bottom of the neck. That way he can't preen the medicine. Hope this helps!

I read about scaly leg mites and thought that might be a real possibility but didn't know for sure if the scales on his legs were raised because I don't have another barred rock or another rooster to compare his legs with. I will look into this further--thanks so much!!

If anyone else looks at these pics and can tell for sure if the scales look raised (or not), please weigh in!

Back
Top Bottom