What's wrong with my two-week-old chicks? Not thriving.

hwar

In the Brooder
May 17, 2018
I have three chicks that are about 2.5 weeks old. They seemed healthy and happy until the last five days or so, when I noticed them eating and drinking less and growing weaker. They are still gaining weight, just very slowly, but they're definitely not the vibrant, active chicks they were at first. They're starting to feel bony and they seem lethargic.

These are hatchery chicks but weren't shipped (I received them as a gift from a hatchery worker). I don't know if they were vaccinated. They seemed healthy when I got them as day-old chicks, though one chick has slightly crooked outer toes.

Should I treat with Corid even though the chicks don't have diarrhea? Persist with vitamin supplementation? Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!

1) What type of bird , age and weight: three young chicks, about 2.5 weeks old, weigh 4-5 oz. I don't know their breeds, but they aren't meat birds.
2) What is the behavior, exactly: They are eating and drinking less and growing weaker. They are still gaining weight, just very slowly, but they're definitely not the vibrant, active chicks they were at first. They rest on their hocks often, eat sporadically but appear mostly disinterested in food and water. They kind of wander around randomly pecking, but don't gobble in a focused way like the previous chicks I've raised (or like they did a week ago). Their legs and feet seem weak.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Approximately 5 days.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms: All three, though one is more lethargic than the others.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma: No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: Nothing changed.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all: Medicated chick starter, water.
8) How does the poop look?: Normal poop. Chicks are not pasted, either.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Probiotics/electrolytes in water, poly-vi-sol, nutri-drench mixed with chick crumbles + cooked egg. Chicks will take small amounts of the slurry food, but not enough to fill their crops.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would prefer to treat such young birds at home.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: Rubbermaid tub brooder, heat lamp, pine shavings changed regularly. I've tested the brooder temp and it is not too hot or cold.

What exactly is the temp in the brooder? Please measure temp under the heat lamp and at the other end. Are the chicks in your house? What wattage are you using for a heat lamp? By the time chicks are 3 weeks old, they should be weaned completely off heat if they are in your house. They may be overheated. If the temp at the "cool end" of the brooder is not down to 70*, chances are very good that the entire brooder is overheated, so they can't get away from the heat enough to be able to cool themselves.

At 2 - 3 weeks of age, chicks should have at least 2 s.f. of open space per bird. This space allows them to work on their flight patterns, and have more options at self regulating their heat exposure.

Brooder is 85F in the warm end and 75F in the "cool" end. Maybe a little too warm? The chicks spend most of their time in the warm end, though. Thanks for the info...I'll be adjusting their heat situation for sure to see if that makes a difference. Our house is still getting cold at night

I hadn't heard the 2 sf guidelines for birds this young. They have 1.5 sf each and will move to a larger pen in the garage in a week or so (or whenever they perk up!). SO maybe also a little too small? But doesn't seem cramped enough to make them sick.

I appreciate the pointers!

What exactly is the temp in the brooder? Please measure temp under the heat lamp and at the other end. Are the chicks in your house? What wattage are you using for a heat lamp? By the time chicks are 3 weeks old, they should be weaned completely off heat if they are in your house. They may be overheated. If the temp at the "cool end" of the brooder is not down to 70*, chances are very good that the entire brooder is overheated, so they can't get away from the heat enough to be able to cool themselves.

At 2 - 3 weeks of age, chicks should have at least 2 s.f. of open space per bird. This space allows them to work on their flight patterns, and have more options at self regulating their heat exposure.

I'm gonna suggest that your chicks are too warm. Turn that heat lamp off completely for a few hours and see if they perk up. My chicks are brooded outdoors, with MHP system. Never a heat lamp. They spend a lot of time running around at what ever ambient temps are, often, in April, when I brood them, day time temps are in 40's to 50's. They dart under MHP to warm up, but spend the bulk of their day exploring their brooder. By the time they are 3 weeks old, they are flitting from the upper level (4 x 8) to the lower level run (8 x 12). By the time they are 4 - 5 weeks old, they have completely weaned themselves from heat. This with night time temps often down to high 20's, low 30's.

I'm gonna suggest that your chicks are too warm. Turn that heat lamp off completely for a few hours and see if they perk up.

Ok, I'm trying not to be too hopeful, but I'll be darned if they aren't a little perkier after the lamp has been off for a while. All three were eating voluntarily when I just checked on them, which bodes well. I never would have guessed that the temp would make that big of a difference, or that it was too high. THANK YOU for pointing it out and encouraging me to check the low temp as well as the high!

I'm realizing that the last time I used this brooder setup, we kept it mostly in our bedroom, and this time it's the bathroom. I think the smaller space might be contributing to the warmer temps. Next time I do chicks, I'm totally doing the MHP instead of a lamp.

I'll report back in the a.m. Fingers crossed for my little peepers to be running around like crazy!

Try leaving it off all night, and see how they are in the morning!

Well, this morning all three chicks are eating voraciously, showing more interest in their environment, and moving around with some pep in their step. I'm pretty sure they were just too hot and couldn't cool off! After a night with the lamp totally off, the brooder is still 75F inside. I'm just shocked by that.

Thanks again for your help, lazy gardener. I don't think I would have figured this out without your response, and I believe at least one of the chicks would have kicked the bucket.

For those who find themselves on this thread by searching for similar symptoms, don't ignore my mistake... check your brooder's low temperature as well as the high temp, especially if you're using a heat lamp indoors! And maybe use a mama heating pad for your chicks instead of a lamp if you have a smaller brooder where it's harder to create warm and cool zones.

Back
Top Bottom