What's wrong with their feathers?

Quote:
hit.gif
Oh, I am so sorry to hear you didn't hatch a Silkie Feathered Ameraucana.

Last edited:
I will definitely be sending Patty "onthespot" some more eggs soon. She has been nice enough to send me her lavender orpingtons and I want her to be successful.

alicefelldown - glad you heard from Pat, and interesting of what you said about the feathers I sent you. I have never had any silkie chickens, and so I really can't compare the feathers. I had never seen anything like these feathers until now.

Anyways - let the debate continue!

hide.gif

pips&peeps :

Like I said, it's amazing what you can find on the internet.

Some of those pictures just show you that you never know what a cross will turn out like. In two generations she changed the skin color and increased size, by picking which attributes she wanted to keep in the bird.

you are like sherlock
big_smile.png
amazing how it was tracked down
smile.png

This is the best threat on BYC...

. This is just a casual observation and I know little or nothing of ressesive genes but Have you ever seen fossils of archeopterx . Its a prehistoric bird found with feathers like this.

And Im just asking people who really know the history of the EE ..Didnt that bird pretty much develop in the jungles of south america on its own with not a lot of interference from people and later , much later it was crossed into domesic chickens? after it was classified as a chicken?

Just looking at them I cant help thinking , there are really no ohter anomolies like missing eyes, or beaks or missing toes...just a throwback to a very distant relative.
Its thrilling to see the eggs from these birds hatch and the babies again have no other deformities..just an ancient feather. This is really amazing.

Does anyone honestly know how the silkie got that feather...I dont think anyone does , perhaps inbreeding and a thowback to prehistoty.

Marco polo described a chicken in china he saw that had hair instead of feathers...at that time no one beleived him so I dont think anyone knows for sure how that feather happened....

If someone does or can research it..it would be so interesting to read. Ive been checking in often to this thread and I wish it were located right up top where I could find it right away.

You guys could write a book on this..Please keep any new baby pics coming ...its just unbelivable.

Last edited:
An update on my batch of these beauties:

Home Depot carries 'Tactical' LED flashlights (100+ Lumens) (~24$), which made a world of difference in tonight's candling. I could see through the Marans eggs clear as if they were white shelled! I wish I had this flashlight from the start - it's so bright I can actually see the bones and veins in my own hands when shining in the dark.

Humidity was kept in the mid-40% range for these last 4 days, whereas for days 1-10 it had been 35%. My goal is for the eggs to lose approximately 12-14% of their weight by day 18.

I'm EXTREMELY concerned about egg #8. It's hard to explain, but the air cell was a bit floaty and wasn't really in a straight line like the others. Looks like it popped?

Eggs 1, 2, 4, 5, and 7 look like they might have quit. I'm hoping that's not the case.
fl.gif
fl.gif
They certainly didn't look like they should. Hoping for a more certain prognosis by lockdown.

Julie, I want to thank you again for giving us all a chance to spread these interesting chickens around. You've been more than generous and I hope we can get a real breeding program for these birds going.

SilkieFeatherAmeraDay14.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
There's a link at the very bottom of the BYC index, Show your posts that works just like the Show Recent Posts link, which shows all posts you've been active in, from the newest to the oldest. Very helpful to keep track of threads you are participating in.

Thanks for sharing this amazing story, and PLEASE ! keep posting the results and pics of the babies. Im just amazed that the chicks are coming out with the same feathering. A little gift. Just most fun to follow. You wonder how many little anomolies happen in back yards that go preyy much un-noticed and shrugged off.

You better come up with a name looks like youve got something pretty special going on..
Latin for little gift is : Parum donum

We would help with a specific breeding program. My son would find it fascinating. If there's a list you can tack my name on.

I wonder if Kathy's proximity to Julie helped with her hatch rate? Since the numbers are so low now, maybe you could look to more direct transfers to help things spread out. I imagine I'm within driving distance of Kathy. Fresher eggs, no shipping and hopefully better hatch rates. Then just keep radiating out. Or even breeding pairs. Heck, I'd even consider making a trip to Texas. LOL

If I read the breeds issue right, get enough people going on the same program and go for standards recognition. I'd be game.

Last edited:
I'm sooo trying to behave myself and hold off on getting some eggs until next spring...BUT you guys are making it REALLY difficult here!!!
gig.gif
I sooo want a few of these cuties in my backyard!!!

Back
Top Bottom