What's wrong with their feathers?

I'm sorry but after reading so many comments both pro and con, I would just ignore them and enjoy the beautiful results. If people don't agree on how/what produced them - they don't need to buy any. If you love the look feel free to buy hatching eggs and chicks. Nowadays it seems everyone has to analize things too death. Don't sweat the small stuff . And as much as we love chickens, it is small stuff., compared to what is going on in the world around us.

I agree... lets just enjoy them
smile.png

I think discussing them to death is how some of us enjoy them. ha ha ha.

Part of the fun of them is the mystery. I think we'll be talking about these birds for quite some time to come.

But if Ramona Iwans flock is to blame for the silkie feathering then that means that these ameraucanas came from her stock, if they did than that means that the seller of the eggs prefered her birds to yours since both birds have to be carrying the trait. If she mixed the bloodlines then both lines carry it. Could you have gotten birds/eggs from the same person way back?
Just remember, this is a mutation, how do you think the silkies came about anyway, they came from a mutation. That same mutation that made the silkies what they are could be responsible for this as in just popping up from no where.

Wait, wait, wait!

If Anissa did not mix her breeders, than these silike-feathered ameras came from neither Pips&Peeps or Iwans - and we're back to square one in trying to determine where the accidental cross happened, if it did.
Jubaby on 10/23/2008 6:28 am :

Good morning! I got another reply from the eggbid breeder. I asked her for some more info on her breeding stock and here's what she says:

Hi, my Black, Blue, and Splash pen of my breeders came from eggbid, I purchased the eggs about a year ago, the user name was Peeps, or something like that on eggbid. Then my Blue/Splash pen, my breeders came from a lady named Pat, she is here locally in Josephine, TX. I purchased the eggs/chicks from her about 3 years ago. I've had these breeders for a long time, like I said before, "I have never seen or heard of any of them having feathers like that."

"Peeps" would be the eggs from jean (pips&peeps). The eggs I bought in the auction were listed as Blue/Splash which came from the other lady named Pat. So if anyone is planning on bidding on her eggs in hopes of getting the silkie ones, you would need to make sure they are the Blue/Splash not Blue/Black/Splash.​

I think a silkie bird jumped the fence along time ago and the silky gene is floating around in the breeders that produced the birds in the picture. The silkie gene is recessive so both parents would have been carriers of the gene.

The birds in the pictures would receive one silky gene from both parents so the bird is not a silky cross. If you cross a silky with a non silky bird the offspring have non silky feathers. Some where in the past ( several years ago) a silky did cross with an ameraucana and the offspring were then used to produce some strange easter eggers. From the easter eggers came a bird that looked like an ameraucana so the person used the bird for breeding. The person would not know that the bird carried the silky gene until you happen to cross two birds that carried the silky gene.

Tim

Quote:
My guess is genetic mutation also because there would be so many other variables that you could get from an 'accidental' silkie cross that would also show up sooner or later.

I've done some googling, after remembering Anissa's note to Jubaby regarding Pat in Josephine TX. I believe I may have found her email address and just sent her the following message. Also, I stole some phrasing from Onthespot, so thanks!
wink.png

Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom