What's wrong with their feathers?

Quote:
Since nobody answered your Araucana question , I'll volunteer what little I know . The lethal gene is linked to tufted birds ; its only been a problem in the pure , bilateral tufted Araucanas as far as I know . Ameraucanas are not tufted so shouldn't carry the lethal gene associated with them . Since they are often surviving right up to hatch day , my opinion [ for what little its worth ] is that they are just bred too tight and the F1 crosses should end the lack of necessary vigor needed for a successful hatch .

Quote:
Since nobody answered your Araucana question , I'll volunteer what little I know . The lethal gene is linked to tufted birds ; its only been a problem in the pure , bilateral tufted Araucanas as far as I know . Ameraucanas are not tufted so shouldn't carry the lethal gene associated with them . Since they are often surviving right up to hatch day , my opinion [ for what little its worth ] is that they are just bred too tight and the F1 crosses should end the lack of necessary vigor needed for a successful hatch .

Thats what I figured really, but it seems odd that they develop fully and then don't hatch. Is that the same in the case of the lethal gene.

It seems if they were too inbred, they would quit somewhere else along the way. I'm new to chicken genetics, so I'm just speculating. I think outcrossing is the way to go regardless. Now I don't have to, thanks to Julie and Kathy!

Of course, I am still going to work on my Wheaten project, which will take at least 2 more generations.

How did they turn silkie feathered ?
Who made these ?
love.gif

PLEASE MORE INFO ON HOW THESE SILKIE FEATHERED AMERACAUNAS CAME TO BE
pop.gif

There is a lot of speculation, but it isn't unheard of at all for spontaneous silky feathering to occur. I'm spelling it differently because I want to note that I'm not associating it with the breed 'Silkie.'

Hi folks!

Three weeks ago Julie sent me 17 eggs: 16 silkied x silkied and 1 from her F1 pen. Six of the silkied made it to lock down and I have one pip this morning. No peeping or pips from the other eggs yet, but I'm still hopeful!

Any tips for hatching or keeping them alive? I mean, I have plenty of hatching experience, but I understand these are especially difficult - and if this is the only one I'm going to get to pip, I don't want to mess it up!

Hoping for 1 silkied rooster - I have 3 normal feathered girls that need a man!!!

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom