What's wrong with their feathers?

Sad that Kathy is out, glad that the rest of you are moving forward... can't wait to see some Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Silky'd Ams.

OK Here we go. This is the handsome Roo Kathyinmo sent today. He was wonderful, calm, healthy and what can I say... other than I am THRILLED! Thanks Kathy!!!!

There are way too many pictures but this guy doesn't take a bad picture so I decided on overkill.

The last picture is of two of my Black Ameracaunas from Paul Smith. They should make some nice F1's. I didn't get pics of the F1 girls that Kathy sent but they are sweet and really nice looking birds.

Yes Mahonri, it is sad that Kathy is out. She was the one keeping everything on track. I am going to need help figuring out how to work these birds to get where we want them to be. I am not as good as Kathy so all advice is appreciated. I have no Blue Wheaton Ameracauna but I do have Black, Blue and White. I have no idea how to do the white but my friend Katy gifted me with her Champion White Ameracauna from John Blehm and I would love to see some White Silkied Ameracaunas but not sure how to go about it. Genetics is not a stong point of mine.

33539_dsc_0799.jpg

33539_dsc_0805.jpg

33539_dsc_0806.jpg

33539_dsc_0807.jpg

33539_dsc_0808.jpg

33539_dsc_0814.jpg

33539_dsc_0826.jpg

clap.gif
Glad he is there, Germaine! He looks totally comfortable and happy already. He should make you some nice F1s, I hope. It's great that our postal system does such a fine job delivering our fine cargo. What would we do without them?

Yes, I had to ask them to make sure he was alive! He didn't make a peep with me and I was worried. But then I opened the box to check and he made sure I knew he was there.

The PO did a great job and so did you.

Ya know, he just started crowing recently. He is a sweetie, though, and no trouble at all. These guys are slow maturing I have noticed. Anyway, mine have been. I did keep one pullet, and I still have not seen an egg.

Quote:
Glad he stood the trip well and is lookin' good .
I've been told Ameraucanas are recessive white , so using your white roo on the silkied splash should give you birds that are regular feathered blue split for both silkie and recessive white ; the next generation innerbred with themselves could produce some that are both silkie and white but you should get both types of feathering plus black , blue and splash also . However that roo , crossed on Katy's birds , bred as if he were not recessive and produced gold and black patterns and also whites in the first generation . Its possible he may throw whites in the first generation for you also .

Last edited:
Quote:
It may be a year or so, but I have all of the "ingredients" to "make" them. I already have wheatens laying, and my silkied boy is growing fast. He should be mature over the winter.

I plan to hatch out a good number of their offspring, which should all be blue and smooth feathered, and cull down to the most correct birds. I will then do a sibling cross.

It's their offspring that I'll need to hatch hundreds of. Approximately 25% will hatch Wheaten, and only 25% of those will be silkied. So I'll need to hatch out a BUNCH of babies to get the few I'm looking for. Darn. More chicks...

The byproduct of that cross will also be blue/black/and splash silkied birds (and smooth birds for that matter). Since they will also be carrying Wheaten genes, I'm not sure if it's wise to breed them further or not. The best part is culls will be super easy to find homes for.

I think Julie (Jubaby) is still the only person with laying birds at the moment. Several of us have birds that are getting close. I'm guessing there will be plenty of eggs to go around come springtime.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom