What's wrong with their feathers?

Quote:
I dont really have any coop space left but I may need one of those
droolin.gif

build a new coop!!!

That post you are quoting is from 2008 - I think we've exhausted that option by now...
Quote:
Quote:
I dont really have any coop space left but I may need one of those
droolin.gif

Aww sorry to see you having to sell them, but REALLY SAD I missed this! I would have loved to get one of your fluffy boys.
hmm.png

My F1s finally started laying and I set 19 eggs last night, though, so I am making some slow progress.

Nicole, I have one trio left if you're interested (original fluffy roo, and 2 of the Line A hens), and some auctions going for eggs until everyone is shipped out. PM me if you'd be interested!

I am an easter egger FAN! and also of the ameraucanas...I have 8 beautiful girls ( mine are easter eggers (but am hatching some Ameracaunas) and love them dearly. WE also love silkies....SO This FLuffy ameraucana thing is just to perfect for us! Can someone tell me where I might get some eggs? Does anyone on this thread sell them? I can't sit and read all 180 some odd pages...babies hatching! But This would be a project I would LOVE LOVE! Also do you originally cross silkies with ameraucanas to get this fluffy gene? Does it have to occur naturally then you work on that or do you create it with crossing silkies into the pool first? Sorry I am SURE this was discussed before but I just found this after looking for the fluffies and am new to this concept as well!! I'm just wondering how it gets going? so I could start my own with my girls if you get them by crossing... Or if someone sells eggs? then if I read right 50% usually will be fluffy and the others will be carriers of the gene Which stays dormant unless bred to another FLuffy gene? correct? Again I am sorry for sounding ignorant but I am trying to educate myself!

ok I sound so silly! I just read there is no silkies in these birds it is a long ago trait that has been nurtured, if you will. So now I have that part, I'm so sorry...I am not trying to rile anyone up over my own ignorance I just got excited when I saw these birds as they spoke to my heart,
droolin.gif
So I obviously cannot make my own...

Quote:
It's been debated. From what I remember, the seller of the original eggs that Jubaby purchased was also working on a 'large fowl Silkie" project of some sort, so it is very likely that Silkies were used to introduce the hookless gene way way back. So you could start from scratch, but it would take several generations to get back to the Ameraucana type.

Regarding the genetics, it is a simple recessive trait. Googling that should explain the basics better than I ever could, but the probability of fluffy chicks in a hatch depends whether the parents are fluffy, splits (carriers), or normal Ameraucanas.

An update:

90% of the birds are sold and pending delivery of their boxes, will be going to new homes soon!
hugs.gif

I have one pair left, a Splash Fluffy Cockerel and a Line B Smooth Blue Pullet. Please send me a PM if you're interested in joining the project!

Quote:
It's been debated. From what I remember, the seller of the original eggs that Jubaby purchased was also working on a 'large fowl Silkie" project of some sort, so it is very likely that Silkies were used to introduce the hookless gene way way back. So you could start from scratch, but it would take several generations to get back to the Ameraucana type.

Regarding the genetics, it is a simple recessive trait. Googling that should explain the basics better than I ever could, but the probability of fluffy chicks in a hatch depends whether the parents are fluffy, splits (carriers), or normal Ameraucanas.

Almost! Jubaby bought eggs from a seller in TX who bought eggs from a seller in WA that had a large-fowl Silkie project. I've spoken with both of those sellers - the WA one says she never free-ranged and the pens were on opposite sides of her multi-acre property. The seller in TX did not keep Silkies. Both confirmed that they never had a chick hatch like the ones Jubaby hatched and were shocked that we all had birds with this feathering from their lines.

We will never know 100% whether it an accidental cross-breed or a spontaneous 'mutation', but the part I found most significant (and why I joined the project) was that no one, over years and years noticed any hookless feathers in their chicks! There are reports of this mutation popping up randomly in Lavender Ameraucanas in the UK and possibly as a basis for the now extinct Missouri Fluffs.

Whatever their origin, I consider them true Ameraucanas because well, they breed true! We've got a bit of a ways to go to correct their combs, tails, and minor coloring issues in the Splash - but we aren't getting a mish-mash of features or colors as one might expect from an Easter Egger or a Amera/Silkie cross. Even the test mating that Jubaby did between her fluffies and a silkie came with heavy Silkie features.

Back
Top Bottom