What's wrong with their feathers?

omg it hatched! I am almost certain it is fluffy too, it has long silver colored hair! still wet but who cares here it is egg on its head and all!

fluffy??? yes???

Hey, still lurking around and watching your project.  I see a few PNW people and was wondering if any of you might be going to the swap in OR in May?  :fl
Ladyfaedon, I live right across the river from you in Kelso/Carrolls!  :thumbsup   Will you be exhibiting at any shows near by?
Are you all building toward show birds that may one day be in the SOP as a variety?  I would, as your project goes on, be interested in non-show culls to beautify my mom laying flock.  I already have two projects and that is enough.  I really like the chick photos.  :jumpy

Welcome! I will be at the swap and bringing some interesting chickens, but not these. I just started my project and my breeding stock are still chicks. I will be breeding towards the standard but my main goal is to dilute this bloodline. The breed is currently inbred and I suspect this has caused enlarged hearts and other internal problems. Currently the adults don't seem to be able to handle stress. It will probably be two years (if not three) before my lines are diluted enough to sell as pets. I'm doing a very conservative (ie slow and not cost effectve) breeding program which is not going to generate very many displaying the silkied trait for quite a while.

omg it hatched! I am almost certain it is fluffy too, it has long silver colored hair! still wet but who cares here it is egg on its head and all!

600x448px-LL-6b18cfd6_newfluffy042.jpeg
 fluffy??? yes???

It will be the feathers on the wings that will tell you. I don't know if you can tell for sure at hatching. You should know by a week old though. Mine were born sat/sun and haven't grown hard feathers on their wings yet but I'm giving it till Sunday before I start to celebrate. :)

yesss.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif
Lets go chickies, hatch!

LadyFaeden- I am hatching from NicoleRm.

So far I have 6 out of 8 hatched- 3 are splash, 3 are blue. The 2 eggs left are showing no signs of hatching yet. The 4 Lav Ameraucana eggs that went into lockdown with them are also showing no signs of hatching. If nothing has changed by the time I get home tonight I may be tempted to help out.

Billiejo21- How are those babies feathers looking? Are they still looking silkied?

Trish

I have one splash that looks like it has regular feathers and one blue...but everyone else still looks silkied...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Our little crossed beak boy seemed to be doing good...appeared to be eating & drinking fine...but when we woke up this morning, he was gone.
sad.png
So I guess what's meant to be is meant to be....

I have one splash that looks like it has regular feathers and one blue...but everyone else still looks silkied...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Our little crossed beak boy seemed to be doing good...appeared to be eating & drinking fine...but when we woke up this morning, he was gone.
sad.png
So I guess what's meant to be is meant to be....

I'm sorry
hit.gif
I guess it was not meant to be. He/she certainly would have had a rough life.
hugs.gif

Well poo!! It is our first one so...somehow in my excitement the "fur" seemed so long just thought FLUFFY lol I feel silly but like I said it is our first...another egg is rockin hope it makes it out...as far as vigor this little one has TONS it is cheeping its head off and staggering all over the bator looking for other peeps..I went and checked on him and he had actually climbed back into his own egg and fallen asleep, guess he got tired of looking for others and went to pout...like most babies fell asleep...funny babies...

It will be the feathers on the wings that will tell you. I don't know if you can tell for sure at hatching. You should know by a week old though. Mine were born sat/sun and haven't grown hard feathers on their wings yet but I'm giving it till Sunday before I start to celebrate.
smile.png

Bad news from me today. I'm beyond frustrated right now. I lost the silkied rooster I got from alicefelldown. No idea why, just found him dead.

New game plan is to put my F1 roosters back in and keep and set every egg I get through the end of the month and hope and pray for a good hatch of silkied birds so I can choose one to replace him. I have four growing out now.

For anyone interested in joining the project or trading, I will probably have more F1 x F1 eggs available in March.
Oh dear - I'm so sorry!! The poor boy!! He was such a good rooster too, a bit timid, but really loved his girls.
hit.gif
hit.gif

Ok...so I swear I'll stop posting pics!! :) I just wanted to get opinions on silked vs splits. I have 5 out of 5 who have wing feathers like this:

And just one blue with feathers like this:
Could 5 out of 6 really be silkied???
ep.gif
Is it too early to tell???

Yes, the top photo are Fluffy and the bottom looks normal smooth. You can tell on these birds pretty much as soon as they dry!

CONGRATS to everyone who hatched chicks!! Someone should start a count and see how many you're all up to!!
wee.gif

WOOOHOO!!! Thanks so much!!! I agree that a count is in order!!!

I have 4 splash and 2 blue. 1 blue and 3 splash are silkied....1 splash and 1 blue or smooth. I lucked out for sure!!! :) These little guys are strong and healthy...and I'm hoping they stay that way!! I've got my Smith BBS ameraucanas going into lockdown in 3 days...so they should have some company pretty darn soon!!!
Oh dear - I'm so sorry!! The poor boy!! He was such a good rooster too, a bit timid, but really loved his girls.
hit.gif
hit.gif

Yes, the top photo are Fluffy and the bottom looks normal smooth. You can tell on these birds pretty much as soon as they dry!

CONGRATS to everyone who hatched chicks!! Someone should start a count and see how many you're all up to!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom