What's wrong with their feathers?

Welcome! I will be at the swap and bringing some interesting chickens, but not these. I just started my project and my breeding stock are still chicks. I will be breeding towards the standard but my main goal is to dilute this bloodline. The breed is currently inbred and I suspect this has caused enlarged hearts and other internal problems. Currently the adults don't seem to be able to handle stress. It will probably be two years (if not three) before my lines are diluted enough to sell as pets. I'm doing a very conservative (ie slow and not cost effectve) breeding program which is not going to generate very many displaying the silkied trait for quite a while.

Yes, I had 11 to start, directly from Jubaby, and they fell away, one-by-one...it was very sad. I still have a split hen and a fluffy roo from her, and have hatched many from many lines of Ameraucanas, and forward generational improvement. I also have some of AliceFellDown's stock and that makes a VERY diluted gene pool. No more difficult hatches. I've got several Wheaten-looking babies growing out now, and will be working toward that coloration. I also have some Blue Birchen and Red Pyle coloration working. I hatch a couple every couple of weeks now, and have been scattering their eggs about here and there to folks to try to get the diversification that we truly need.

My main fluffy roo is still quite robust in his shy, quiet way, and I am happy he has continued to thrive. He will be 2 soon, and that is glorious.

I'm hoping for a black fluffy soon as well as a CHOCOLATE split or two. They will have the wrong shape, and a green egg, but still...it will be worth working for- a chocolate fluffball!!

I have eggs going out right away for Catkai this week, and will have a few more shipments to share due to incubation overflow.

I'd share pics, but my memory card died on my phone and I have to get another. There are many shots in my profile if you look through my photos.

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
to you!!! We only had one line A egg make it to lockdown, one other was a late quitter, all the rest were clear....I'm sorry you had a disappointing hatch!! I have had so many shipped eggs pip internally and not hatch that I am obsessed about it!! I now have a sportsman bator and it seems that it has helped. I suspected my poor hatches were due to temp inconsistancies in my LG. I'm glad you have found some more eggs!! I think that in about 6 months we'll all be switching and swapping and hopefully we'll all have much better hatches!! Good luck with your next hatch and keep us updated on whether that chick is silkied or not!!!!

I have definitely found that hatching is easier when using the method in my cheat sheet (in my signature) and wonder if somehow they haven't a less permeable eggshell?? If so, the scanty evaporation would lead to a chick too large to maneuver properly to pip/zip, and thus explain the deaths. I see this in Marans.

Ok done! Now these were not shipped eggs... I collected these over the 1st week after my birds were shipped. As of 8am, 6/6 have hatched with no help! I had humidity issues almost daily before lock down with it getting into the teens. Otherwise kept it at 30-35% and went to 65-70% at lock down. My bator runs a bit warmer than it should so early hatch but it was earlier than I normally see. They were only in lock down for 1 1/2 days before they started to hatch. So I expected a bad hatch...

So 1 splash and 5 blues. Some have light colored fronts and cheeks while others are silver all over. Not stressing over silkied or not yet, they all look the same and I know they can't all be silkied
wink.png

Lovely! Because shipped eggs have more issues, I wonder if supplementation wouldn't help a lot? I mean, if we give high protein and vitamin & electrolytes in their water, the eggs should be more robust and better able to handle shipping...right? That's the philosophy I use in my eggs, anyway.

I get along with everyone there, but one person. I won't use her window and will let the person behind me go ahead just so she has less reason to handle my packages. I don't think she even notices, since she does know I like 3 of the others and figures I just want to visit. Also if the box says to call for pickup, they don't call. I've also talked to my new carrier who I've tried to explain these shipment to and how heat or cold will keep them from hatching, but if she delivers them they are by her feet next to the heater. She's even said "no packages and either come back and delivered or returned them to the PO. I don't think they have it out for me perse, I just think they're stupid, uncaring and unprofessional. Not all POs are good ones, just like any other type of business or service. You wouldn't believe what I've seen done by a few of the carriers.

Ahh 50%. I haven't seen one of those in ages! LOL Lots of 0% happening here. I'm absolutely happy with a single chick!. Poor Karen was stressed over this hatch. She got lots of others to hatch at the same time and was sorry there was only 1, but hey, there's 1! I'm thrilled! LOL Now what to do with only one bird carrying the gene? Oh yeah, buy more eggs! Sure wish I had gone ahead and just bough that trio. Oh well. This time, I'm going to see if she'll hatch for me again, but I want to try shiping them directly to her and see if that helps.

Shipping round end up, packed tightly for no shifting, then double-boxed helps DRAMATICALLY!! Furthermore, you can address them to the recipient's POST OFFICE's address, and then they are forced to hold them. I love this move.

I am so glad that the population of these is beginning to increase. These are going to be *super* popular. Kudos and Congrats to everyone who has worked so hard on these beauties!!

I'm working on colored-egg-laying Silkies (affectionately known to me as Silkie X... but maybe I should call them Silkie O, since the symbol for the blue-egg gene is O...) and folks are already wanting them. Hopefully by fall I can have enough base stock to send out some project eggs.
fl.gif

Awesome project!

It's been awhile since I've posted. I moved out of state last fall which was nothing less than traumatic for animals and people alike. I had nothing set up for any of the animals so I had to build from scratch. My trio of F1s from Kathy are alive and well. The problem is that they are free ranging with other chickens as I have yet to build pens. I'm just lucky to have them here. My question is, are their eggs worth hatching? The answer to my question might be lie this thread but it would be a daunting task to go through all of the posts (I did once before not too long ago). If other roosters have bred the hens (which is more than likely), can they still pass the silkied genes? If so, what would be the odds? I can easily tell which eggs are theirs. Also what to do with the black roo that I hatched from the eggs that Kathy sent. Can it be safely said that he's unrelated to the silkied Ameraucanas?

I'm glad to see so many successful hatches. Keep up the good work and you'll be seeing me around.

Yes, they are most definitely worth hatching. We need every bit of diversity we can, and if you want to give them tuna and vitamins and sell their eggs instead of chicks, many would love to have them. Spread the love and joy! Hope things are settling down after the move, and prayers for peace and coop building!

I have some extra chicks available to a project member in the Northwest. They are blue and splash smooth feathered but silkie feather gene carrying chicks. I hatched from Catkai and Nicole a week apart. They are $5 each and are straight-run. I am near Portland, Oregon.

Erica

I have some extra chicks available to a project member in the Northwest. They are blue and splash smooth feathered but silkie feather gene carrying chicks. I hatched from Catkai and Nicole a week apart. They are $5 each and are straight-run. I am near Portland, Oregon.

Erica

Erica,

I am interested interested in some of your extra chicks. I am going to be in Portland on Friday(13th) and can make St. Helens on my route home. Will send you a PM now. Donna

I haven't done a gender count yet on them... I'm pretty terrible at sexing chicks and these peacombs really throw me for a loop.
I do think that 4 of my 7 fluffies are pullets (2 blue and 2 splash)... not sure about the 8 smooth feathered fluffy carriers... I might have to go stare at their combs for a bit and see if I can make a guess on those.

Beautiful chicks! I am working on having some like this, hope the work works, lol. Anyway, lovely chicks, do you have a gender count yet? Or did you already say and I missed it?

Hi everyone! Long time, no talk. I was on vacation, then DH had emergency surgery while I was gone, so I had to nurse him for a while, on top of working both jobs, chasing my 1 year old, and being 24 weeks preggo.
th.gif
Anyways, DH is back on his feet and things are back to normal. I haven't had tim to catch up with the thread yet, but here's an update on my end:

I lost one of the 2 silkied roos I got from alice while I was out of town - no idea why, everyone else is fine. That leaves me 1 silkied roo from line A, who is currently "pen hopping" back and forth between the two groups of girls (my F2s in one pen and line B hens from alice in the other) every few days so I can still keep track of the eggs. On a positive note, I'm pretty sure EVERYONE is laying.
celebrate.gif
My bator went out on me, so I'm firing up my old LG, but I hate the darn thing, so I'm only going to put a few eggs in as a test run and share the rest for now. I'll probably have some to send out later in the week if anyone is interested. I also have 2 younger hens (1 silkied, 1 split) that I hatched out a while back from alice's A line and I'm just waiting on them to lay.

Sheesh, Kelly, I'm tired just reading that!
lol.png

I'm starting to think that most or all of the silkied chicks I'm growing are cockerels. Has anyone else experienced this? They're still fairly young so I'm hoping I'm wrong!

Any updates from anyone? I stuffed 7 eggs from alice's line B hens with her line A silkied roo under a broody hen day before yesterday. I'm improvising since my bator is busted. LOL. I'll have a batch of eggs that can go out this weekend if anyone is interested. Probably at least 6 or 8 from my F2 girls with silkied roo and at least 3 or 4 from the line B girls with silkied roo. Let me know if anyone wants them. I'd hate for them to go to waste!

Back
Top Bottom