whats wrong with these chicks??

lydiaharmon

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
A broody hen hatched these chicks and is raising them. She seems to be a bit of an aggressive eater and tends to kick the chicks in her scratching. The chicks are about 2 weeks old, and are looking worse and worse. I don't know if they're injured from her kicking or if they have a disease like fowl pox. They act completely normal and have no symptoms that I've noticed. They're fluffy because it's cold out today.

please don't cull, it does look like it can be fowl pox, which is usually transmitted by mosquitoes, it's a virus, there has been a lot of cases this year, for the most part it will look horrible and run it's course in 4-6 weeks, getting a bit ugly before getting better, otherwise your chicks look robust, most broody hens are vigorous in their scratching to find food.

Thank you! I've had adults with fowl pox before, but never chicks. I googled pics, but had a hard time finding any of chicks with it. My other broody hen is really gentle with her chicks, so this one kicking hers is new to me. Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom