whats wrong with these chicks?

I have a three day old chick that is really skinny, and will just close it's eyes and rock back a little, but it runs around with the other chicks, and seems happy enough. Does this sound like what your chicks look like?
all except for the running only 1 left and he just stands there, rocks or sort of gets totters from place to place like hes legs dont really support him still not drinking water so dropper water crop has some food in it but not much still constantly chirping with eyes closed and head back.

the two sick chicks i separated from the others as i think they are ill and didnt want it passing on. one died today. other is still alive and showing the same symptoms

he is smaller than the others that might be it

Last edited:
all except for the running only 1 left and he just stands there, rocks or sort of gets totters from place to place like hes legs dont really support him still not drinking water so dropper water crop has some food in it but not much still constantly chirping with eyes closed and head back.

the two sick chicks i separated from the others as i think they are ill and didnt want it passing on. one died today. other is still alive and showing the same symptoms

he is smaller than the others that might be it

Yeah i have four others and they are all fine, but this one is really skinny, and just looks like it falls asleep on its feet. It does ivy sound the same as yours though, because it is running around just fine, and I think it has to be eating and drinking to still have so much steam left. I hope it's not the same thing, I don't want the little fuzz ball to die :c

I'm a new baby chick mom and we got our chicks less than 48 hours ago from MyPetChicken...one bantam died in transit, one had similar symptom as you mentioned but did get better after we give her electrolyte but unfortunately fell in the water and died in the night... and now one easter egger who was the first one to start eating out of the box is now NOT eating, Not drinking, and just sleeps. I've been giving her liquid through a dropper trying to perk her up to no avail. I started to give her a little yoghurt, yolk dissolved in warm water just trying to get some food in her.... I have to use the dropper too for that. She takes it, but still isn't walking. She is barely staying awake. She does have bowl movement...but a lot of liquid... she hasn't been eating...

Is there any hope? What can I do to get her over this hump? HELP!

how warm are you keeping them? has she been wet?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/599275/weak-chick-responding-well-to-force-feeding

just check the crop often and try and keep something in it at all times thats all i can say, that and keep her warm and away from others so she isnt bullied to much. .

update: chick 2 is dead
hit.gif

Last edited:
mine passed away this morning... :(

she is warm, not sure what happened... I fed her throughout the night...

i dont kow if its just weak chicks or some disease...but if a previously happy and active chicks is doing this i would think disease..or defect

Mine seems to be doing really well, I think the little guy is just skrawny. It seems to be very active, but falls asleep ALOT. I took it inside, and the little fuzz ball climbed all over me and perched on my fingers. :( I'm so sorry about all your guy's chicks. I saw some at the feed store that kinda l

Back
Top Bottom