What's wrong with these hens (photos)?

Im still new to chickens, but the pictures look just like one of my BOs a month or so ago. She went broody and the other chickens all picked on her. I didnt know what it was for a couple of weeks though. I never saw them picking or anything so I was a little worried. One Sunday I camped out at the coop all day and finally saw that it was the other chickens picking at her neck and wing(she has a small deformed wing). They would peck at her and pull her feathers trying to get her out of the nest so they could lay. Her neck wasnt red or anything, just bare. When I finally broke her and she got off the nest they slowly started growing back. Funny how she is normally the top dog, but when broody shes the low man on the totem pole.
idunno.gif

So my guess would be feather picking. But Im not 100% sure.

Thanks!
Do you still think it's molting even if nothing has changed over three weeks or so?
If it is feather pecking what can I do?

It's not feather-picking. The feathers are missing in spots where the hen can't possibly reach them. My money is on moult or mites. Mites are nearly microscopic and you really need a magnifying glass or microscope to see them. Lice are bigger and you can often see them without magnification. It wouldn't hurt to dust them all for mites anyway.

Quote:
Im not sure about peacefuls hens, but I know my hen it was feather picking. I saw with my own eyes them pick the feathers out. They would pick her feathers out all around her neck and up on her head and then of course on her messed up wing. One of the other hens would for some reason want to lay in the exact nest and the exact spot where Nemo was. Then they would try and push her out of the nest and would pick at her. Pulling her feathers out. Poor little Nemo was bald all around her head and neck.

Back
Top Bottom