Whats wrong with this chick - Video

ddeans

Songster
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Elkton, MD
This is a 5 day old white leghorn. Look at the video, if you could tell me whats wrong with him, that's all he does. Does he need to be culled? There is plenty of water and food for him, but I want to make sure he doesn't pass this on to everyone else.

You'll need quick time to view this video.

http://mybigstick.com/videos/chick.3GP

Ohhh nooo that looks soo familiar, he probably wont make it much longer. The same thing happened to me with 2 chicks from Ideal. One made it to 2 weeks before she died the other died at 1 week. I tried to figure out what it was by posting a thread of symptoms but never got any answers. Are his poops normal? Is he eating/drinking?

Yup, everything seems fine, I had an old hen do that a while back and she died the next day. He has only been in the house since day 1, so I don't think he would have caught anything. Yes eating and drinking like normal.

Same thing with the ones i lost which is why i didn't cull them. I sure hope he pulls thru for you
fl.gif
wish i could have helped more

I thought about the pine shavings with mine but i felt their crops and checked their throats to see if there was anything lodged in there and i didn't find anything abnormal. It is heart breaking to see a chick gasp like that and not be able to help it but on the other hand don't have the guts to cull them either. ahh well it happens i guess. How is the little one doing now ddeans ?

I had the same thing happen to 2 of my 3 Dom's when I got them via mail. I started with amprol in water and mixed raw milk (paturized will do in a pinch) with oatmeal (cooked) and amprol in it. hope this helps.

Amprol won't do anything. Amprol is a thamine blocker meant to inhibit the growth of a protozoa called cocci. They won't have cocci if they have never been exposed to soil or adults.

Some chicks just fail to thrive and develop with kinks inside that you can't do anything about.

Back
Top Bottom