Whats wrong with this chicks legs?!

Jkuhn12790

Chirping
Jul 14, 2022
My little snuggle chick, Donna, has something wrong with her legs. I noticed about two weeks ago when we brought her home from my MIL's. I fear maybe her legs broke on the ride home but I'm unsure. She walks around and eats and drinks, but she can't roost anywhere. She wobbles around but I fear as she gets bigger her Wright will make it harder for her to walk. Is she sick or is there something I can do with her legs?! Please help, of course she's our favorite. She runs to me when she sees me because the others are too crazy I think.

Attachments

• 20220714_195735.jpg
    20220714_195735.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220714_194427.jpg
    20220714_194427.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220707_184044.jpg
    20220707_184044.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 9
My little snuggle chick, Donna, has something wrong with her legs. I noticed about two weeks ago when we brought her home from my MIL's. I fear maybe her legs broke on the ride home but I'm unsure. She walks around and eats and drinks, but she can't roost anywhere. She wobbles around but I fear as she gets bigger her Wright will make it harder for her to walk. Is she sick or is there something I can do with her legs?! Please help, of course she's our favorite. She runs to me when she sees me because the others are too crazy I think.
Her feet may be buckling inwards- that’s what it looks like. You can try the treatment for spraddle leg..

Thabk you so much for your advice. I was worried in our travel she got hurt or had a slipped tendon that I didn't correct In a timely manner.

Thabk you so much for your advice. I was worried in our travel she got hurt or had a slipped tendon that I didn't correct In a timely manner.
I'm not an expert, but I don't think you'll be able to correct it, but you might be able to keep it from getting worse.

FWIW, I have a chicken who had a slipped tendon that never corrected. She gets around well, but I won't put her with my main flock because I don't want my roosters mounting her. But I expect her to live a normal, happy chicken life.

Thank you again so much. Pretty sure I don't have any roosters so hopefully I won't have to worry about that. I'll try that poultry cell and hopefully it will help her at least feel better

Thank you again so much. Pretty sure I don't have any roosters so hopefully I won't have to worry about that. I'll try that poultry cell and hopefully it will help her at least feel better
Is she showing signs if pain/distress?

Here's my Twiggy who has an uncorrected slipped tendon. You can see her wonky leg. It sticks out at almost a 90° angle. She puts very little weight on it, and her leg is so twisted that when she does put weight on it, she ends up walking on the top of her foot.
20220629_192406.jpg

My avian vet suggested euthanasia. I just couldn't. She isn't in pain, and I am willing to make accommodations for her. Being Polish, she won't be a big or heavy adult, which I think is an advantage. We'll see... But if I feel as though she's suffering, I'll look into amputation or euthanasia, if that's what's best. But she deserves a shot, you know?

Since you don't have a rooster, you might be able to make some accommodations for your chick, too. I hope it works out!

Okay, first of all, I am in love with Twiggy! We had two polish chicks that didn't make it.. I was so sad 😞. I ak so glad yours is doing well!
Second, I can't really tell. She just seems almost frustrated because she loses her balance and has to use her wings alot so she seems to get tired easily. The others push past her snd she gets shoved around, but she does get to est and drink water. When they get out in their coop (we are almost done with the run) I'm hoping it'll be easier for her since she won't be in such a small space with the others.

Back
Top Bottom