What's wrong with this Egg/Chicken??? Pictures

Quote:
One of my coops has a nest box that bumps out too. I was worried about freezing eggs so DH put straw bales around the nest box for a little insulation--- haven't had any frozen eggs yet.

way up in Canada... dear god we aren't the north pole (most of us anyway) though today feels like it! Its like me saying way down in the deep south to those in the US ...
gig.gif
hehe in Nova Scotia our weather is modeled after Boston. OK that out of my system .... I am just poking at you..
hmm.png

We get normal eggs... ie: unwrinkly eggs.... nless the chickens hide their "old" ones
hu.gif

Being a relative newbie.. since oyster shells help with the forming of the shells could it be perhaps that your girl is getting too much and thereby making industrial shells.. have you tried to crack one of them?

They have oyster shell available all the time. The shell is normal hardness and thickness. The egg inside is normal. It's worse than it looks on the pictures too - these are really high ridges and even the ends of the eggs are bumby. Like a mold of the inside of the chicken!

Geez I agree that they look like a mould (or what I believe a mould of the inside of a chicken would look like
hu.gif
) but it sure is odd looking.... of course I am a newbie so an old hand would surely have seen this before....

Well waaay up here in Canada I've never seen a ridged egg like that in 50 plus years- mind you our winters are warmer then minnestotas'....lol. Could it be the hen has a blockage in the tube where the shell is added and hardened and the indents and ridges are from the muscles trying to push it out past that? There are some eggs that have sworls or roses on the ends, or bits and bumps of extra calcium, but those are unique! Thank you for sharing the pictures.
BTW I never knew until last year that some brown eggs, like the marans, have the color sprayed on at the very end just before it's laid and that's why you can wash the color off....
Could you maybe call a university and ask an ag prof what they know about egg formation?
Kelidei, the chicks will "moult" about 3 times between the chick and pol stage, but it isn't really called moulting until after their first winter and laying cycle. That's when they shed their feathers and stop laying for a while.

Quote:
That's exactly what my DH said - muscle indents and ridges! I do hope she doesn't have a blockage that's keeping the egg from moving along. Does this mean she's a candidate for getting egg-bound?
barnie.gif

I live in Manitoba and it is around -40'C with the windchill right now, I get the odd crinkled egg like that, mebbe one out of every 14-15 dozen... Eggs like that go to the dogs or get given away as "free" eggs....Just dont feel right about selling a wrinkly...

Gosh, I hope that doesn't mean she'll get egg bound. But you'll be prepared now to notice if she is acting funny. Hopefully the tract will get stretched out and she'll be popping out nice smooth ones soon. I've had the occasional bumps and sworls and ridges but never consistantly.
Good luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom