1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What's wrong with this picture???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Southern28Chick, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I doubt they had chain link fences, plastic chicken waterers (empty...I have like 6 of them though) gamebird netting and cinder blocks during the civil war.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    I just realized how fat that dress makes my look...yeah that's it the dress. [​IMG]

3. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    LOL!! You look very authentic though!!!

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Did they have leghorns back then? Inquiring minds want to know??? [​IMG] [​IMG] I think they had barred rocks there was a post about this before, now you made me think, and I didn't plan to do that today.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Do you have a fancy dress with hoops? Do you wear a hat? Do you braid your hair and wear a snood?

I hand made all of my fingerless gloves, snood, little purse, etc. I have some great things I have collected over time. I love making hats to match the dresses! I love capes and shawls and aprons. I love stays and corsets and draw string drawers.

You are going to have such a fantastic time it makes me want to go too!

Show me your shoes! A close up, please!

6. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    You look GREAT!!

jackie

7. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Those are Ideal 236's I know they didn't have those back then. They are a breed of leghorn though. IDK. Did they have EE's back then either? Doubt it.

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Wheres your bonnet? Ive got some old eggbaskets, but I dont htink they are cival war old. guess yo will have to get wicker basket to carry eggs in.

9. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:My bonnet is coming in the mail any day now...ebay. [​IMG] I have wicker baskets that I'm going to use for the eggs that I'm selling at the event.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hello CW gal!

No Leghorns were not common back in the Civil War...mostly Dominques and Game Birds and sometimes Cochins were found. Buttercups came in the country way before the CW. OEGB were used primarly for cockfighting...very common and was easy money on the side...remember Chicken George of Roots???

Barred Rocks didnt come or created until after the CW. Neither was the EEs or Amercuanas. We didnt have that many white egg layer breeds back in those days.....all brown eggs.

They didnt refigerate the eggs either....sat them out for a week and put them in the hole or cellar.

White feathered birds were not common either...too easy for predators.

As far as I know about fencing, its all wooden pickets and open pens and they were shut up every night....not many people would have gone places back in those days.

I love my dresses but they dont flatter my figure as it used to be. Heres the pic of me and hubby about six years ago and almost one hundred pounds lighter!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by