Whats your average live weight? and are they lively?

BairleaFarm

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Georgetown, KY
Seems my Cornish Xs are heavy. I went out and weighed a few. 9-12 pounds each. They are 8 or so weeks old. Seems I read alot about peoples meaties being lazy and joint issues. Mine run around like the rest of the birds. They might waddle a bit more but dont seem to have any issues running or walking. Now they do come at you like a fat kid chasing a twinky. They are by far the friendliest birds ive got and will come up and talk to you. Only problem I see is a lack of feathers between there legs back towards their vents. I would assume its because they stay on the coop floor and don't perch like the others.

Sounds like you are at butcher weights!!
smile.png
I didn't weigh mine live weight but at 8 weeks I had 4 dress out at over 7.5 lbs with one of those being an 8 lb'er!

They are definitely friendly birds!! I'm staying away from the 40 I'm brooding right now beings I cried my eyes out at butcher time with my first batch but mind you....they were my first chickens ever so I became attached.
roll.png

They were ready to butcher a few weeks ago when I ate their brothers LOL. I never had the attachment issues. Im not what one would call a religious person do I do thank God for giving me the ability to raise and harvest my own food and I verbally thank the chicken for what hes dieing for. I say it before I cut any of their necks. Im not in any hurry to butcher the remaining 4 as they seem happy and act like any of the other chickens.

Are they Pullets or cockerels? I picked up one of my 7 week old Pullets yesterday and I'd guess she weighed at least 8 pounds. She was heavier than my 6.5 pound papillon and chihuahua, without a doubt. I'm thinking next Friday. I want to butcher on Friday so that I can put the remains in the trash on trash day. I have to can tomatoes first, so this Friday won't work. Otherwise, no room in the fridge or freezer.
I'm surprised mine have done so well since we had about ten days above 110 and it's been over 105 since they went outside.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom