What's YOUR chickens' favorite treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fowltemptress, Aug 24, 2008.

1. silkie-mom

silkie-mom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    South central Virginia
    Mine love cooked pasta, wheat bread, mac & cheese, and clover that I bring them from another part of the yard.

Has anyone ever tried dry oatmeal?
    I hear they like dry cat food kibble too, but mine still have such little beaks I haven't given them any of that yet.[​IMG]
  2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:so do mine..the dog cleans up the tomatoes after the chickens have turned thier noses up at them
  3. camjac

camjac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    The only treats mine will eat are peaches (they love them and a peach is gone in under a minute with 5 10 week old chicks) and dried marine algae-a seaweed like fish food that looks like a sheet of paper. They will not eat tomatoes, peppers, bread or worms. I walk them around the yard and lift up rocks for them and they will not touch the worms or beetles. They do like the really huge crickets though.
  4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Mine like tomatoes that have gone past MY eating them.
    They also love it when it is cicada season, because I pick the bugs off the trees and throw them in to them.

But, I have to say, the funniest thing I ever saw was last week - I had boiled some eggs and forgot three of them in the pan overnight (I been busy- was tired) and the next morning I mashed them up for the chickens to eat.

I have never seen such a chicken mob and the excited clucking was almost deafening, LOL. Definately going to have to give them hard boiled eggs more often.

The bugs thrown to them are a huge hit, but those are usually one-at-a-timers - for the mob rush I have to do a plate full of stuff.

Peace -
  5. kirkster5

kirkster5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    crazy for yogurt,blackberries,corn on cob
  6. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My silkies love watermelon and sunflower seeds and dried bread.
  7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    can you give sun flower seeds in the shell..or do they need to be hulled?...thanks, Wendy
  8. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:I buy them already hulled.
  9. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Quote:I give mine the ones still in the shell. They love them.
  10. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Grapes are the #1 favorite, then watermelon and cantalope, then spaghetti/penne and Oatmeal. I feed the oatmeal both cooked and dry, depending on if I'm in a hurry and they love it both ways. Oh and they lovvvvvvve left over biscuits too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by