What's YOUR chickens' favorite treat?

Our "girls" will eat absolutely anything we bring out as food scraps or unused veggie parts cut up for them, but a super favorite is tomatoes...which is why we have fencing around our garden. When they're free ranging, one red likes to follow me around to see if I'll uncover any nifty worms or bugs. We toss them some grain or soft apples for fun in their chicken yard, and always some weeds.
The only thing they won't eat is slugs, not that I blame them!
sickbyc.gif
Too slimy! And they're too smart to eat potato bugs, the li'l stinkers!

fresh corn on the cob, and cooked Spaghetti makes them go crazy.

they don't like carrots unless I shred them for them. they never liked yogurt. They will eat any kind of veggie or fruit that I give to them, but some disappear slower than others. I haven't given them watermelon yet.

I recently got some corn on the cob 12/$1. Gave a couple ears to the chooks and nearly lost a finger (literally!) today when they saw me with their new fav goodie.

Mine are only 5 wks, so far they love yogurt and cooked oatmeal. But by far the fav is these giant grasshoppers. Disgusting.
sad.png
I don't know if anyone else gets these, but in Arizona they come almost like a plague. It's hilarious to watch a chick running around w/one almost the size of it's head in it's mouth trying to keep anyone else from taking it from him.
I just had to post a pic

13500_p9030002.jpg

Hrm, let's see. Mine love cottage cheese, milk, squash, cucumber, bananas, watermelon, fresh corn,pasta.....so far pretty much anything and everything I have set down in front of them so far.

You would never know now by looking at the lunatics, that they were terrified for days and completely traumatized by any treats I tried to give them when they were only a couple weeks old. They used to flip out and hide in the corner! Now I barely set a dish down and they are diving in!
lol.png

Our hens (and roo) go insane for tomatoes, they absolutely love them. Most of them love avocadoes, too. There are a couple who won't touch avocadoes, though. Another favorite is pasta (cooked) and cooked rice.

Mine go crazy for grapes. They see me coming a mile away with them and they jostle for the best position. They also like the core of bell peppers with the seeds still on it, tomatoes, frozen corn on the cob, oatmeal and apple cores. Won't touch pear cores and don't like blueberries.
tongue.png

Quote:
I've been giving mine frozen bananas on the really hot days when they look stressed- I peel and freeze them in wax paper, and just throw them in the coop when they look overheated. They peck a couple of times, and then make this funny face- my daughter says they get a "brain freeze" !

Mine go nuts for these (woodlice).
porcellionides_pruinosus.jpg

Sometimes I look under rotting leaves or the compost bin and find hundreds. I just scoop them up, put them in a pot and let them have at them.

Back
Top Bottom