What's YOUR chickens' favorite treat?

Mine enjoy jumping for grapes off my vine...:(
They also really enjoy cherry tomatoes and cabbage. They'll eat the broccoli leaves if I let them.

This year we had an uprising of cicadas; they went crazy trying to eat them. At one point I went out in the evening and collected probably 50 of them. They went crazy the next morning; gone in minutes.

I'm growing some amaranth this year to see how they like it.

My chickens really like grapes, some like applesauce or yogurt, corn on the cob they don't really go crazy over, raisins, and pasta noodles they really love. This evening I'm going to go out in the garden and pick them some fresh cherry tomatoes, because I hear that they are quite a fan of those.

If y'all know any other foods that your chickens like, please tell me because my chickens are really sweet and deserve it for the delicious eggs they give us.

Sardines or mackerel tinned in spring water - no salt; I mix it in with their wet layers crumble, 1 small tin between 6. I give Maggie (see my avatar) a little more fish on its own as she is missing many feathers but still lays an egg every day. Hope I'm not overdoing it but she seems desperate for more.

Mine love saskatoon berries, which are a vitamin rich wild or feral berry. I tried oregon grape berries too and hawthorn berries, but it's the saskatoons they seem to like the most. Me too. Partially hence amiachicknorwat. To me it makes sense the wild/feral berries are better than the cultivated/store bought due to their growing amongst a diversity of other plants & the soil enriching effect of the diversity of those plants debris decay. Aside from berries and their regular feed/scratch I also feed them compost. But it seems to be the chick's feed as well as the saskatoons both the hens and chicks go the craziest over.

Last edited:
So far my girls seem to enjoy pizza, ravioli, cucumber, corn, string beans, pancakes, lucky charms cereal (not the marshmallows), grilled cheese, and Taco Bell. (My big girl jumped up on the table as we we're finishing dinner and started eating the last bit of taco out of my daughters hand. Was the funniest thing)

My 10 pullets love oatmeal,mixed with water, grass, watermelon & crickets. OK with tomatoes & peach peels.

Back
Top Bottom