What's your favorite chicken breed(s) for pets and/or being affectionate.

What is your favorite chicken breed for being affectionate

• Orpington (Buff, Chocolate, Lavender, etc)

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Brahma

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Old English Game (OEG)

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Cornish Cross

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Easter Egger (Technically not a breed but still)

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Starlight Green Egger

• Prairie Bluebell Egger

• Austrolop

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Sebright (Gold and/or Silver, etc)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Wyandotte (any coloration)

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Barnvelder

• Speckled Sussex

• Light Sussex

• Barred Rock

• Dominique

• Leghorn

• Silkie

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Ameraucana

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Polish

• Other (Specify in comments)

Votes: 16 34.8%

• Total voters
Marans! My Blue Marans lets me pick her up and carry her around wherever, but she eventually wants me to put her down. I never let my hens sit on my lap or anything because I don't want my rooster to get jealous (plus I don't want them to poop on me), but apart from that I have to say my Blue Marans is my friendliest.

I am not big on snuggling with chickens, but I have had a few outstanding birds that demanded my affection and attentions over the years. Buff Orpingtons come immediately to mind! Also I have had a couple White Crested Polish and Welsummers that have been standouts seeking attention and enjoying being held and petted. Welsummers are by far better layers than the other two breeds, but the Orpingtons have had more birds that were very friendly and just wanted to sit on you and be petted, for me. On the average, most of the other dozen breeds I have raised over the years could of been tamed most likely, but I have never sought to do that intentionally. I have had some bad boys too! I once had two huge Barred Rock roosters that would coordinate their attacks on people or even dogs! I finally killed them both with a tomato pole , when they attacked my daughter one afternoon and injured her. I was still young and dumb back then and should of prevented that possibility of course.

My three Speckled Sussex chicks have come to be one of the friendliest breeds I have raised. The cockerel is sweet as well, and I hope he stays like that. Today I was holding him and he fell asleep.

My Dominique is the most affectionate of my four chicks (2 months old). They’ve all been raised as pets and given as many cuddles as possible so none are standoffish, but she is really affectionate. My Dominique has always liked to perch on me and fall asleep as I pet her, and will come to me even when the rest of the flock is out foraging and trying to avoid me as much as possible. She crawled up on my chest today, stuck her beak into the crook of my arm, trilled a bit as I pet her and then promptly took a nap. She’s usually bouncing around like a pinball and getting into everything I don’t want her to, but when her battery runs low she comes back to me to recharge, and all is forgiven.

I’d also put in a vote for my Welsummer who is also a lovey little lap chicken. My Marans are sweet as well, but not quite so snuggly.

Back
Top Bottom