Whats your favorite type of pigeon loft floor?

What's your favorite pigeon loft flooring?

• Bare wood

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Bare dirt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pine straw

• wheat straw

• Corn cob

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Wood pellets

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Sand

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Hardware cloth

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other (please explain)

• Total voters
This year, I tried corn cob. It absolutely turns to mush when it gets wet. I didn't lke it because it totally looks like poop and I have no idea what is a poop area and what is not a poop area. I suppose it's
why did it get wet? Coops should be dry as a desert. It is highly absorbent, so unless a big spill happened, it shouldn't have turned to mush. What color was the corn cob? Ideally, droppings should be brown with a little white. Corn cob isn't that color. :confused:

Bare wood for me. I have tried pretty much everything over the years, and only use wood floors which I scrape and sweep (and sometimes vacuum). All the deep litters harbor dust in them and it's not a good thing for the birds respiratory health (mold spores can grow in there too... especially in the humid climates), or the fanciers health either. Wire floors are good for cleanliness, but the birds don't wear down their nails on them and most likely might need to be trimmed if kept on them long term. Every type of flooring has both pros and cons, so each person will definitely have their own preferences. For me, it's wood floors all the way.

I'm new to pigeons, and was gifted two pair recently. We are currently in the process of building our first loft. After reading this I'm wondering about doing a bare wood floor. How long do they usually last before the wood starts rotting? Can I use something like linseed oil to try to preserve the floor longer, or is that even necessary?

Thank you @backyard pigeons 😁. We do plan on having a roof, but we also get quite a bit of humidity up in the mountains. Sometimes we are up inside of the clouds. We wanted to do a walk in covered coop with nesting boxes that have sliding doors for when we need them, a small flight area, and the triangle style roosts.

Thank you @backyard pigeons 😁. We do plan on having a roof, but we also get quite a bit of humidity up in the mountains. Sometimes we are up inside of the clouds. We wanted to do a walk in covered coop with nesting boxes that have sliding doors for when we need them, a small flight area, and the triangle style roosts.
My floor is 3/4 in treated plywood. No sign of rotting what-so-ever after three plus years. We also have a lot of humidity in the summers. I do scrape and remove the poop every day (or sometimes every other day:oops:). I store the poop in a bag and my neighbor takes it for his garden.

Thank you @biophiliac that sounds like good news to me. 🙂 I do plan on cleaning it out daily. I was just worried the liquid from the poop and humidity would cause the floor to rot faster. Now I think we'll do fairly well with our wooden coop floor.

Back
Top Bottom