What's your outside temp today?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by annie3001, Jan 4, 2012.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Holy moly!!! Brrr its cold here in ct. Reached a single digit of 9 (sigh)) [​IMG]
    I know some parts of the world its much colder... but still!
    The animals still wanted to go outside... I threw bird seed in their for them, keeping them busy for a few minutes.

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    21* here in north Ga. Just got back inside from busting up frozen water buckets. Grrrr...

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    I know, I am afraid I have to go back outdoors and check on the water. After an hour of being indoors, I think I'd best check it.

4. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

It was 9 here today too! I now use a heated dog bowl from Jeffers in one of my runs and it works perfect. I have the heated base in the other run and it is a pain to fill that font up so when it craps out I'm getting another bowl!

Heated base and font = $90 at TSC
    Heated bowl = $17.95 plus $6 for shipping

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    About 18. And all of my waterer's were froze solid. So I switched them out and gave them luke warm water to start out their cold day.

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    I've never used the heated water bowls. the coop itself has its heat lamp source, The water was icy, but not frozen (smile)))
    The run waters were iced up. I have the black large rubbery ones, that you flip over and stomp on with your feet. comes right out. PErfect. I have to get outside, been dreading the cold...... It takes me like 10 minutes, to get all my gear on. lol.

On a happy note tho: our birds (um wild birds ha) are enjoying their bird seed. We have the prettiest birds here, red cardinals, blue jays and doves. I love looking out my window and seeing them. Boy oh boy those blue jays are mean to the little guys tho.
    I could sit for hours with my binoculars...

7. 16 when I got up at 0530 for the dogs. 22 now. Had to change out chicken water at 530 and fed them a warm watery mash of left over corn bread and flock raiser. Nice and sunny now, but all hens are still in the coop and giving me a dirty look through the window [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  8. Longhorns&Chickens

Longhorns&Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    It's freeeeezing out there!!! I think its around 18F and I'm cold! The cow tanks were both frozen, got those busted open again, the chickens are watered and now I have to check on the dogs...ugh winter chores stink! With the hubby at work, I was on early morning water duty, and wouldn't you know it the wood box was empty so guess who got to fill that too, haha, what a day! I like winter for a small time, but its nicer when I'm looking out at it [​IMG]

9. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    It was 2 degrees F here this morning [​IMG] No heated coop, birds are happy as clams.

10. Orpingtons4U

Orpingtons4U Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    You Know when its too cold is when your ducks run out the coop for a minute then quickly run back into the coop and it is 18 Degrees F [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by