What's your worst incurred rooster injury (or worst you've heard of)?

I know the feeling. Next on my list is either alpacas or baby doll mini sheep. Both herd animals so you need more than 1 right?
smile.png
Luckily, I live on a farm so the possibilities are endless!

Congrats on the pot belly, they are too cute!

Last edited:
I had red steaks shooting up my arm and my hand had swollen up so badly that my wedding ring couldn't be seen.

Wow wow wow - that's actually a good warning though for us that still incur injuries for the sake of our roos. I always think about contaminants when I get a teeny puncture/cut. I come inside and wash the heck out of it, but not so much because I'm paranoid; my boyfriend always gets on me about what bacteria chickens carry (he saw many zoonotic diseases acquired by farmers in Iowa when he was a physician there; granted farmers are higher risk than hobby chicken folks). It's just hard to imagine it going to that extreme and I'm sure you did what I do - cleaned it well after it happened. Crazy aim your roo had to do venipuncture! I get embarrassed to tell people I have roo injuries at times. But the flock is worth the learning curve.

They are worth it. They are of great entertainment value. Although, I do not breed so I do not have a rooster. I guess I am still a little gun shy. I just wish my dogs would quit eating the little "chicken treats". My vet told me it is nothing to worry about but Jeeze, their breath really stinks.

Hold the phone! Did someone mention baby doll mini sheep? That sounds like a fabulous addition to any chicken/rabbit/dog addict!
love.gif

Oh yeah, that blood infection sounds like a horrible injury! I just took care of our nasty rooster this spring because he couldn't get along with the kiddos. No reason to keep a mean rooster when there are so many out there looking for a home that may not be mean.

Last edited:
Any babydoll sheep injuries? They could have some type of hidden venomous stingers that are a well-hidden secret, ya never know. I know, I want a few of those as well.

Hrm, I've never owned a rooster personally, but I've heard that there are breeds where the roosters almost always have a lot of attitude. The Games are the obvious choice, then I've heard that RIRs and Leghorns are pretty gutsy about attacking too.

I have had a bantam Cochin roo that liked to chase everyone in the henyard around like he was godzilla or something, even when he was only 8 weeks old and 4 inches tall (I laughed myself silly at the sight of him chasing my SexLink hens).

However, he DARED not come near me showing any sort of challenge. He knew he was in imminant danger of being cuddled mercilessly should he get within 5 feet of me. He always looked so humiliated when I turned him on his back and tickled him.
love.gif

I was sad when I had to give up my little godzilla to a new home
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah they would be. The ones I saw were pure black with blue eyes. Absolutely adorable. I wish I had bought them then, but wasn't prepared for them. We do have other sheep but they are the run of the mill sheep for meat. Don't get too attached to them. Baby dolls don't require much food, grass/weeds in summer and a little hay in winter. They would keep weeds around buildings and fences trimmed. Oh yeah, I need to get a couple. They are hard to find around here though.
sad.png
Even our sheep sherer guy says he's looking for some.

Father's day (as in this week), I was trying to catch a roo to send him to freezer camp. He cut me from under my nose to below my jawline.

My arm is still sore from the resulting tetanus shot and I'm still finishing up the antibiotics.

Now I have built a leg hook and bought a face shield and wear long sleeves / pants when getting dinner.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom