What's you're preferred bedding?

I'm liking sand in the run area and floor of the coop. Easy to clean up. I use shaving in the nests. I'm new to all this as well. Getting there is a little bit of a learning curve. Cheers.

Should the sand be coarse or fine. I've considered mixing sand into the shavings but I think it would just seperate into different layers over time.

i use coarse sand in my coop...on the really hot days they stay in the coop because the sand is cooler and if they want something for a quick snack they can eat it....plus it's sooo much easier to clean...able to use a dog pooper scooper and a bucket and i'm done!!!!

I have had a FBCM that I just got in an isolation cage while I integrate her. It has a wire bottom, and I cannot BELIEVE the difference in smell between the coop with a layer of pine shavings over 'dirt', aka sand, here in Florida. The coop has three chickens in it and it doesn't smell at all. I just put them all together and they are doing well, in part because I couldn't take the smell. I also add some DE.

I'm hoping the pine shavings will also help with the fly issue by drying up droppings. Also maybe it'll be easier to keep the silkies clean since it absorbs much more.

Back
Top Bottom