Wheat??

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
My husband's step-grandfather's brother (are you lost yet?) raises wheat in Richland, Washington. Apparently, every year they end up with extras, broken pieces, etc that they cannot even "give away." DH's step-grandfather remembered I have chickens and has secured me close to 1,000lbs of these 80lb bags of wheat...he said they used to feed it to their chickens all of the time and they "loved" it...

Is it safe? What is the nutritional content?

I'm assuming (if it is safe) that I'd want to mix it with layer pellets or something else?

I just wanted to check so my entire flock doesn't go belly up! LOL

Yup, it's safe! Wheat is the staple grain over in the UK, kinda like corn is here and rice is in Asian countries. Just keep it from spoiling and you've got yourself a great feed supplement!

wee.gif
Excellent! Well, my in-laws' offered me a HUGE, HUGE old chest freezer (no longer works for freezing things but it's air-tight & rodent-proof)--so I've got that for storage!

When you say supplement...I'm assuming that means I need to feed it sparingly/add it to feed or maybe just toss it into the runs or pens every now & then for them to scratch around at? Like um, scratch? LOL

Quote:
I talked to a lady in the UK, about how to feed a certain breed she has raised for years. She said she feeds crumble, then switches to laying pellets and wheat, then by full grown they are on all wheat. Of course with free ranging and probably fruit/other treats too. So seeing as it's worked so long for her, i don't see why you would have to feed it sparingly.

Quote:
I know folks that feed only wheat in addition to free range/grazing, but they keep orientals and it helps keep their "hard feathers" in condition. I have fed wheat to mine and it hasn't harmed them, but I was mixing it into their regular feed to cut the protein % down.

I don't free range at all. In fact, my chickens hardly ever come out of their pens/runs because of the coyotes, neighbor dogs, hawks, owls, eagles, bears, cougars, foxes and raccoons! LOL Oh and weasels! They do get to come out IF I'm home AND outside to supervise them and one breed at a time so I don't have any cross-breeding. Some of my "favorites" that are easily captured and packed around come out to the garden and flowerbeds for "turn-out" time!

I know a couple of breeders that feed a breeder pellet and wheat mix free choice..

Chris

Back
Top Bottom