Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

My wheaten hens (the ones described in earlier posts) are now 26 1/2 weeks old. No eggs yet, but I am thinking any day now ... right?????
smile.png
Not to sound anxious.
wink.png
Of course, they will just be eating eggs since I never found a roo. Also, I think I will have to cull quite a few of the hens for poor coloring when I do start hatching from them. Will be posting pics later for advice on that
smile.png
HOWEVER, I currently have 9 egga in the incubator from berkeleysprings which I am VERY excited about!
wee.gif
Did I mention VERY excited??!!
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
celebrate.gif
1 1/2 weeks down and 1 1/2 to go
smile.png

Last edited:
I will do my best to make sure ypu get some chicks. From the hatch. . Fertility rate is always hard with marans on shiped eggs. But no worries, o will send more ... all my birds have just about stoped laying except the silkiee. They are teoopers and great layers. Your hatch date is my birthday lpl I wosh u luck! 6
Quote:

The egg my Wheaten girl gave me today, pretty good color still for a hen who's been laying since late February...

IMG_5253.jpg

smile.png

Last edited:
Hey Randy, how are you celebrating your birthday?
From my single mating I discovered that you can get middle toe feathers from parent birds with perfect feathered shanks. My wheaten roo and hen both have clean middle toes, and so far are throwing 65% with middle toe feathers. According to all the genetics sources I've read, this isn't supposed to be possible. I guess they don't know everything about feathered shanks yet. I'm going to post it in a separate thread to see if anyone has any suggestions as to why. I have a few more from this pair hatching on Monday. The hen went broody on me, so I gave her a few chicks from the laying pen, in a couple weeks I'll pair her up again and see if I can get her to start laying again. I'm hoping if I keep just the offspring with clean middle toes I can get rid of the problem, but both parents have clean middle toes, so I think I'll have to keep single mating in the next generation to find out if it's the rooster or the hen, or the unique combination of the two that's causing the middle toe feathers.

So they are only supposed to have feathers on their shanks and not their toes??
And Randy, my hatch date should be Wednesday. Is that your birthday?? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
big_smile.png

I plan to go country dancing but don't want any birthday atention on my account .I get way to mushy... and I'll freek if anyone tries too do much more than dancing so I'm hittin a bar called waters edge. Fro dinner So I want my. Big 50th day to b quiet. Thsts so interesting on getting feathers on middle toes. I haven't seen that yet on my birds yet. I did mannage tp hatch a. Pair that's 100% not carring any reciessive shanks but they are only two months old. The rest of my. 15 or so hens I think pnly two might carry recessive
. I have. 5 new ropsters to work ant test breed this winter but all my hems stpped laying. It just takes time

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom