Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

This is what the Wheaten Marans cockerel looks like at about that age, and another picture a few weeks older:

Great! Thanks! I guess it would have been helpful if I'd posted a side view. He's definitely starting to look like that. He's going to be such a gorgeous Roo, and right now he's one of my sweetest chicks. I might just have to keep him if he stays like that.

Great! Thanks! I guess it would have been helpful if I'd posted a side view. He's definitely starting to look like that. He's going to be such a gorgeous Roo, and right now he's one of my sweetest chicks. I might just have to keep him if he stays like that.
wheatens shouldn't have yellow shanks and feet. I'm not so sure that's a wheatie. But no matter what, it's a cutie!

the little guy is for sure a cross yellow legs are recessive and that's how they can show up even in a "pure bred" flock white are dominate whenever you get crossbred chicks never think any of them as "pure" just enjoy them as they are so pretty

There are two Marans clubs due to a massive falling out among members. I have heard bits and pieces about what happened, but I am sure there are good people in both clubs. I had Bev Davis Marans prior to the split, so I stayed with her group.

I don't know if she still sells or not, but April Miley has the nicest wheatens I have ever purchased and the egg color is fantastic. She's probably on the breeders list of the www.maranschickenclubusa.com . Bev Davis is the president of our club and has done as much for Marans as anyone in the USA. If you have Marans, you likely have her breeding. She's an amazing lady.

Interesting background history on the clubs, didn't know that...

If you go the Yahoo Group for Marans Chicken Club USA, I know that the breeders are listed on either the Data or Files link. I know that it is difficult to fine, we have discussed that many times.

Ernie Haire

I follow the Yahoo group, and although I have never posted, I have really learned a lot from the threads on there... really interesting conversations at times...

wheatens shouldn't have yellow shanks and feet. I'm not so sure that's a wheatie. But no matter what, it's a cutie!

Noted!!

Once again all wheaten marans are borne with yellow legs . all of them . they change color in about 2 months of age or about the time the eyes change color. if they do not change color after a few months one of the male or female is carrying a recessive trait for yellow legs. they should change color to pink ish white is the correct color. I was told by someone chicks are born with yellow legs because of consuming the yolk while still in the eggshell. remember just because a chicken has the pinkish white legs it could caary one copy of the yellow leg trait
the moral of the story is just because you have a hand in the rooster with the proper leg color doesn't mean the offspring will have the proper leg color due to the recessive nature.

Back
Top Bottom