Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Why are you wanting to cross the wheatens anyway? There are good lines out there in the wheaten color already that just need some good ol fashion culling and breeding. I think it would do more harm to the color than good IMO. The black coppers have more breeders actively breeding them than the wheatens so it makes sense that they would be bit better in terms of egg color etc.... but the wheatens just need that time and dedication put into them that they deserve. If you want a black copper go with that color, but if you want a wheaten then step up to the challenges of breeding wheaten. Solid breeding programs take time, money, hatching and culling. That's what will move the wheatens along best.

Why are you wanting to cross the wheatens anyway? There are good lines out there in the wheaten color already that just need some good ol fashion culling and breeding. I think it would do more harm to the color than good IMO. The black coppers have more breeders actively breeding them than the wheatens so it makes sense that they would be bit better in terms of egg color etc.... but the wheatens just need that time and dedication put into them that they deserve. If you want a black copper go with that color, but if you want a wheaten then step up to the challenges of breeding wheaten. Solid breeding programs take time, money, hatching and culling. That's what will move the wheatens along best.

I see nothing wrong with this person breeding the Wheaten anyway they would like as they own them and take care of them.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Well technically you are right. I still stand behind my post though..... it's a free country and there are tons of crossing and color mixing going on, but I've seen it ruin bloodlines.
wink.png

Last edited:
T
Thank you so much! You know I don't see anything morally wrong with breeding whatever one likes for their own chickens. I dont think it shows any lack of character or backbone or something like that for goodnessake!

But at the same time this was just a line of thought and question so I'm glad for the information! I might end up doing some fun crosses but I won't expect it to result in something that lives up to the SOP and rather will be just that.. Fun crosses having little to do with breeding actual wheaten marans. So this really gave some excellent information that would have been hard to find out another way! So I appreciate it.

I'm still plunging away with pure wheaten.I crosses Davis with budy henery lines many many years back. My flock has been closed since I started. Hens are nice looking but roos still have a white feather in wing visible only when open . And some cotton fluff in tail base but all in all I'm happy with them

I'm still plunging away with pure wheaten.I crosses Davis with budy henery lines many many years back. My flock has been closed since I started. Hens are nice looking but roos still have a white feather in wing visible only when open . And some cotton fluff in tail base but all in all I'm happy with them

And so you should be, they are beautiful hens. And the roosters I have seen are great too. I aspire to your hens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom