Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

They were hatched in 2014. I don't know what line they are from . A local breeder ordered Wheaten eggs and every single one of them were cockerels. He got rid of all of them and I got these three.

Recently I posted photos of the cockerels I got last year. They were a bit older and not tame. The guy I got them from caught them in a net, stuck them in a carrier, and I didn't have a chance to look at them before I took them home. Now that they are getting a bit tamer, I noticed they all have a short toe on both feet that is "hidden" by heavy leg feathering. I am assuming this is an undesirable trait caused by inbreeding. Should these birds be culled?

My hens are not related to the cockerels. They have normal toes, but very little leg feathering.

Recently I posted photos of the cockerels I got last year. They were a bit older and not tame. The guy I got them from caught them in a net, stuck them in a carrier, and I didn't have a chance to look at them before I took them home. Now that they are getting a bit tamer, I noticed they all have a short toe on both feet that is "hidden" by heavy leg feathering. I am assuming this is an undesirable trait caused by inbreeding. Should these birds be culled?

My hens are not related to the cockerels. They have normal toes, but very little leg feathering.
i think the short toe where the feathering is located is common and sometimes expected among marans .

inbreeding is pretty common in chickens
breeding father's back two daughters many believe that if you had a very dark egg and its a rooster breed him back to the darkest egg Hen or daughterto increase egg color.many people have had a close to
Flock for a lot longer than my 8 years that can chime in

Its been awhile since I've been on this site but here are my Wheaten hens. What do you all think?
They are beautiful !!! wish i had some of those ....... can you send them to me (need a rooster also) ...
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom