Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Hi XXmingirlXX.
yeah i saw her photo . she is a chunky one great type and with this sort of egg colour she s laying .Make her a good breeder.

How is the weather in Lancashire .I lived in Glasgow Scotland 20 years ago, pretty awesome weather .sunny all a year around. Ha Haaaaaaaaaaa.

chooks man

The weather is miserable. Lots of flooding in our area (which is why it's so muddy on that picture). We have been getting a months worth of rain in a day.

It should be easing up now.

Side Spig bad But with that sort of type and egg colour I l breed her with a Rooster that has a nice comb. hatch few chicks and select some pullets without side spig and breed them back to they Sire.

I m working with all sort off problem ( limited genes pool in this country) chooks . but I still breed them .the only thing I do I focus a lot in pairing the breeders. they have to be compatible, fixing each others problem and giving a better progeny.

we are expecting 40 degree C today.
chooks man

Side Spig bad But with that sort of type and egg colour I l breed her with a Rooster that has a nice comb. hatch few chicks and select some pullets without side spig and breed them back to they Sire.

I m working with all sort off problem ( limited genes pool in this country) chooks . but I still breed them .the only thing I do I focus a lot in pairing the breeders. they have to be compatible, fixing each others problem and giving a better progeny.

we are expecting 40 degree C today.
chooks man

She was really promising. I was waiting for her to lay before I began to show her. Then her comb developed a lot and I spotted a side sprig. DQ.

I don't have the facilities to breed her at the moment. Maybe in the Spring. She will just be a layer for now. :)

Hi sun catcher your Blue rooster is stunning on type ,gorgeous eye s, lovely feathered shank. nice tail and correct tail angle.the comb not nice but not perfect( there is a spig in the front of the comb. small now.)
HE S A BREEDER . a Question with what?

I see he is a cross between Blue copper X blue wheaten( or wheaten) there is a lot mixture there. What colour was his hatch down? thanks.
1) his huckel= pure wheaten and a gorgeous rich gold /copper color.
2) brown feathers in his shank. Wheaten

3) Blue wing triangle = blue copper ( crow wing ).
4) pink /slate/grey colour legs Blue copper.

I think he is mid way between the tow varieties ,Blue Wheat and Blue cop.

He will give a good result if bread with both,

hope that help.
chooks man

What do I get from a Blue Splash Rooster and a Wheaten Hen?
I have a few different hens in a pen with a Blue Splash Roo.
I have a Black, Wheaten, Blue Copper, and a Golden Lace Wyandotte/Blue Splash Cross which looks like a Blue Copper. I can tell her eggs apart they are larger and not as dark. Her offspring with the Blue Splash look like Blues and have feathered Shanks. One out of the 6 had a pea comb like a wyandotte though.

My other pen is 7 Blue Splash Hens and Roo along with 7 Easter Egger hens.

Last edited:
I purchased 6 advertised wheaten eggs. Hatched out 4 of them. Now have 2 pullets and 2 cockerals that are just over 3 months. The lady I bought them from said they are suppose to be 100% wheaten when i questioned the blue feathers on 2 of them. So i have a blue wheaten pair and a wheaten pair. The blue wheaten hen has blue feathers in the tail instead of black, can I use her for breeding?

Hi Shadow 722 a cross between a Splash Rooster over a Wheaten hen will give you 100% Blue ( impure copper and Wheaten ).

Hi Tbone303 you can breed your blue wheaten hen. a) you can breed here to a wheaten rooster to get 50% each ,Blue wheaten/ Wheaten
OR you can breed her to a Blue wheaten rooster and you will get 50%blue wheaten ,255 wheaten and 25% Splash Wheaten.

PHOTOS GUYS PLEASE.

Hope that is help full .

I have several Wheaten chicks coming out white. One is a little yellow. A couple of them have stripes. Fellow I got the Wheaten hens from had them with an americauna rooster. Now they are with my Splash Rooster.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom