Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Pics
so what is the proposed standard for the wheaten marans going to be is the question ?
if i read other standards i get mixed up ...
this is all about the wheaten marans lol
i guess the other question is are we designing the standards around the birds or the birds around the standards ... so if wheatens breed true for years the standards should look like the perfect one (key word is perfect)

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Randy, about the only thing we can do since we are on the outside looking in is just keep breeding like we have been and hope the MCCUSA group gets around to twiking the proposed standard. If this thing is not corrected we will have a mess for sure. I hope the final draft is tough and not watered down to make it easy to breed inferior Marans. I guess we will have to just wait and see what happens. Don

i am a member of most clubs and i dont have a clue what they are doing with the proposed standards or how its written
or how i would find out and frankly they know better than me
Quote:
Hi Randy, about the only thing we can do since we are on the outside looking in is just keep breeding like we have been and hope the MCCUSA group gets around to twiking the proposed standard. If this thing is not corrected we will have a mess for sure. I hope the final draft is tough and not watered down to make it easy to breed inferior Marans. I guess we will have to just wait and see what happens. Don

Quote:
Walt, Is this new ? Don

Don,
I went & took a good look at my Wheaten rooster. I don't see any black feathers but it kind of looks like the ring of feathers around the bottom of the hackle (over the cape?)has a very fine pencil type line around it. Is that what you are talking about?

Quote:
Walt, Is this new ? Don

Don,
I went & took a good look at my Wheaten rooster. I don't see any black feathers but it kind of looks like the ring of feathers around the bottom of the hackle (over the cape?)has a very fine pencil type line around it. Is that what you are talking about?

Hi, mostly I was just trying to gether all the info. I could get to be able to say axactly what we are having show up with the Wheaten. There is just so much left out of the proposed standard that this will probably end up a real mess. I have no faith in the group doing the standard to do what is right. Don

hey don ,,,, thanks for bringing up all the things to look for in the wheaten marans and breeding tips , you have a good reputation for being a top poultrymen... and i dont mean this in a funny way , my spelling limits my vocabularry but hears the question ,,,, how would u word the proposed standards for wheaten marans if u were the person in charge ?
I think this is proposed for rooster , it sure would be nice to go over some of this like line 1-6 ,
i and others might enter pictures of birds and body parts (and i wont delete my pictures in this format ) my roosters might meet a few of line 1 threw 14 of the requirements so that i could contribute pictures and outher people with wheaten marans might help with pictures
Color of Male

Disqualifications:
Spotted Breast. Black or no Triangular wing bays at all.
1. Comb, Face, Wattles and Earlobes: Bright red.
2. Beak: Light horn shading to white at tip.
3. Eyes: Reddish bay.
4. Shanks and Toes: Pinkish white.
5. Head: Light orange, free from dark feathers. ( varying from golden-red to brown-red )
6. Neck:
Hackle: Light orange, free from dark feathers. ( varying from golden-red to brown-red )
Front of neck: Black.
7. Back:
Back: Mahogany Red
Saddle: Mahogany Red color matching the hackles
8. Tail:
Main Tail: Black with reddish cast.
Sickles and Coverts: Black with glints of beetle green
9. Wings:
Shoulders: Strong Mahogany Red.
Bows: Strong Mahogany Red to match back.
Coverts: Lustrous Black forming a bluish black armband.
Primaries: Black, edged in brown.
Secondaries: Brown with internal Black barbs forms a Brown Triangular wing bay.
10. Breast: Black.
11. Body and Stern: Black.
12. Legs:
Lower Thighs: Black.
Shank and Toe Feathering: Black.
13. Ear Down: Brown
14. Undercolor: Light slate. Very light in hackle and saddle

Color of Female

Disqualifications:
Washed off back colors.
The Hen:
The hens coat is a wheat color (the color of the grains of wheat). Each feather has a lighter staff and edge. Head and hackles are a rich wheaten color. The breast and the all underside of the body are cream colored. The secondary color is whitish.
a) Comb, Face, Wattles and Earlobes: Bright red.
b) Beak: Light horn shading to white at tip.
c) Eyes: Reddish bay.
d) Shanks and Toes: Pinkish white.
e) Head: Rich Wheaten. ( varying from golden-red to dark-red ).
f) Neck:
Hackle: Rich Wheaten (varying from golden-red to dark-red).
Front of neck: Rich Wheaten (varying from golden-red to dark-red).
g) Back: Wheaten.
h) Tail: Black with brown and black colored edges.
i) Wings: Wheat color.
j) Breast: Cream color.
k) Body and Stern: Light Creamy Wheaten.
l) Legs & Lower Thighs: Light Creamy Wheaten
m) Shank and Toe Feathering: Light Creamy Wheaten.
n) Ear down: Cream color.
o) Undercolor: Whitish to Cream color.

Last edited:
Randy, I will just make changes instead of doing the thing over

#6- Hackle light orange to golden Red (some could have flames in Hackle)

#7 back Mahogany Red Saddle matching Back Mahogany Red

HEN
E- Head-- Golden-Red to Dark-Red

F- Hackle--Golden-Red to Dark-Red (sometimes Flames in lower Hackle)

G- Back-- Rich wheat color (feather has a lighter shaft and edge)

I- Wings-- Rich wheat color(feather has a lighter shaft and edge)

The wheaten Hen body must display Wheat, dark-red, and cream color.

Randy, hope this will help explain what I think. Don

Back
Top Bottom