Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Pics
My first Wheaten. I hatch out 11 out 12. 4 day old

39871_dscf9526.jpg

39871_dscf9527.jpg

Quote:
I have a different opinion on the mating of wheaten and blue wheaten. It is fine to breed these two colors together but do not breed the percentage that are wheaten back into your original wheaten, as it will dilute your original wheaten. I could of said pollute your pure wheaten blood. The pure wheaten are a better quality Marans and the mix fowl should be only used with the blue wheaten breeding pens. Don

Hi Don, Just to clarify, are you saying that wheaten Marans in general are better quality? or that the wheaten will be better quality if not diluted by blue?

I guess the genetics confuses me a little on this.. I would think of blue as being Bb.. has to carry recessive.. two little bb is splash and BB is black wheaten (aka wheaten). How far off am I?

Thanks!

Malinda

Quote:
Malinda, It is just that the Pure Wheaten are much better quality and type wise. It is fine to make the Blue wheaten mating either cull or only use the resulting wheaten color Marans in the blue wheaten matings. The actual genetic formulas do not deal with type and throw backs. Don

Back
Top Bottom