Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Iv had wheaten marans for 6 + years but always fed them crumbles but thinking of switching to pellets . any thoughts ?
mine waste the pellets just like they do the crumbles, either way you lose alot of food to them picking out that one special morsel
(and i can tell you, doesn't help to threaten them into not wasting feed)
lol.png

Don I saw your recipe for the bulk feed you used to have ground, a few of us are thinking of grinding our own we can access grain farmer direct. What was used for the meat scraps? Raw or ? I assume that was to add protein could we substitute more beans or fish meal? (not legal to use/sell meat related meal in WI since the CWD scare)

thanks

Don I saw your recipe for the bulk feed you used to have ground, a few of us are thinking of grinding our own we can access grain farmer direct. What was used for the meat scraps? Raw or ? I assume that was to add protein could we substitute more beans or fish meal? (not legal to use/sell meat related meal in WI since the CWD scare)

thanks
Here in Michigan the meat scraps can be used as long as a different species in eating. The scraps here are from pork. there are lots of reasons for the Meat scraps. I have used Fish meal at the rate of 100# for a ton of mix.. I use in the winter months two Layer concentrate for a ton and leave out 200# of Corn.

mine waste the pellets just like they do the crumbles, either way you lose alot of food to them picking out that one special morsel
(and i can tell you, doesn't help to threaten them into not wasting feed)
lol.png
Usually when fowl waste their pellets it is caused from not having the right feeder and it is not adjusted height wise. In my large breeder pens I have a 30# feeder hanging in each and adjust the feeder to the bottom hole for the pellets. For mash I use the middle hole. I like the eating surface to be about shoulder high. I continuelly adjust the feeder as the young fowl get older and taller.

Usually when fowl waste their pellets it is caused from not having the right feeder and it is not adjusted height wise. In my large breeder pens I have a 30# feeder hanging in each and adjust the feeder to the bottom hole for the pellets. For mash I use the middle hole. I like the eating surface to be about shoulder high. I continuelly adjust the feeder as the young fowl get older and taller.
thanks for the info, my feeders, altho hung, aren't that high, will have to raise them a little see if that helps, my young ones are still in tractors so feeders are on the floor of the coop. will have to see about maybe hanging theirs too.

I made gravity feeeders that empty into a long trade that they eat out of. the chickens eat a kick it out with your feet or use there beaks can kick it out on the ground . I prefer using by gravity feeders because I can load up on the inside of the shed in it empties into the chicken coop side and I only have to fill it about once a week each feeder hold about 30 or 40 pounds of food I like the idea not having to go into the chicken coop.

I made gravity feeeders that empty into a long trade that they eat out of. the chickens eat a kick it out with your feet or use there beaks can kick it out on the ground . I prefer using by gravity feeders because I can load up on the inside of the shed in it empties into the chicken coop side and I only have to fill it about once a week each feeder hold about 30 or 40 pounds of food I like the idea not having to go into the chicken coop.
now that sounds mighty slick, i have very small gravity feeders for my housebirds, and might get my husband to make me some for the chicks, thank you for the idea randy

Hi Everybody! Just checking in as I like to do from time to time. I was right about my earlier hatch- two pullets and three cockerels. Two of the cockerels are definitely far too red to use. Ugh. I had 1 wheaten pullet hatch a few weeks before the "main crop" and unfortunately she was one of the casualties of a raccoon onslaught. So at best it looks like I will have a trio to work with. That is a bit of a nerve-wracking prospect for me because that leaves things very tight. I am sorely tempted to build them the chicken equivalent of a Fort Knox! Hope you all are well.

Hi Everybody! Just checking in as I like to do from time to time. I was right about my earlier hatch- two pullets and three cockerels. Two of the cockerels are definitely far too red to use. Ugh. I had 1 wheaten pullet hatch a few weeks before the "main crop" and unfortunately she was one of the casualties of a raccoon onslaught. So at best it looks like I will have a trio to work with. That is a bit of a nerve-wracking prospect for me because that leaves things very tight. I am sorely tempted to build them the chicken equivalent of a Fort Knox! Hope you all are well.
raccoons are the worst I did a build a fort Knox nothin can get in or out of my coop in my outdoor run is the same by accident I locked my sister out in the coop and run she was stuck there for hours she was trying to cut her way out with wire cutters but it would have taken a long time to get out about the only thing that can get in my coop is a black bear maybe . it doesn't matter how many racoonns you kill there's always more to take there place.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom