Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Hi all
New here... I just recently purchased this trio of Wheaten Marans. I do not have plans to have a large breeding program, but want to good by them as a breed. I have been reading this forum for a few days now & have found it very interesting. I am wondering first; what do you think of them and second; is one hen more worthy of breeding than the other or do they both have merit. The lighter hen is laying currently- have had 4 eggs in the 6 days since bringing her home- the color of her egg is nice- darker than my Wellie eggs (don't have a card to guess # off of). The second hen is a July hatch pullet. The rooster is @2 yrs old and is coming out of a molt and was hen pecked. Thank you for any advice/information you have for me.

From what I can see do not see much that I can comment on though. The wheaten variety usually has nice shank and feet feathering, These do not have much of either. The pullet appears to be really dark, pick up the back feathers and see what color the undercolor is for me.

Thank you, I'll run out there in a bit and check. You are right the hens do not have feathered shanks or feet, the roo however does.... just have been picked at by the many hens he was living with.

I checked on the under color of both hens.... the lighter one is light creamy (near to white but not quite) colored and the darker hen is a cream color. The rooster is a grayish color.

I checked on the under color of both hens.... the lighter one is light creamy (near to white but not quite) colored and the darker hen is a cream color. The rooster is a grayish color. I might add that I did see the teeny tiniest of feathers on both hens shanks & toes.... very sporadic and just a bit.

Been lurking and am going to try some of these beautiful birds out... I have some eggs coming in spring, but I would like a variety of sources so I can pick the best ones... any recommendations?? I understand that eggs from the Northeast do not arrive well to this part of the country...

Would love know what others think of my roo Whammy.
He is about a year old and is a great breeder, I think he looks pretty special but would appreciate the thoughts of more experienced Marans breeders. He usually has good shank feathering but recently suffered a bout of leg mites so is missing some feathers. These aren't the best photo's taken from my phone, but he does have a solid black chest and no white in his tale/wing.

Back
Top Bottom