Wheaten Marans 6wks - pullet or roo?

Choook

Chirping
Apr 10, 2017
I don't have any experience with wheaten marans so I'd greatly appreciate the advice of someone with more experience in sexing my 6-wk old wheaten marans.

The shoulder, chest and leg feathers are a reddy clay colour - which is darker than the wheat colour I'd expect for a pullet, but not black which I'd expect for a roo. On the other hand, the black wing feather tips look roo-like, and the comb is probably bigger/redder than I'd like for a pullet at this age (not huge, I'm just... regularly checking!).

I've been looking at threads on here that mention a clay wheaten marans, so if "she" fits the phenotype of one of these pullet types I'd be very happy, because "he's" if a roo I can't keep him, and don't even think I could sell him either because he doesn't seem to fit the usual breed parameters. (If clay is a possibility, how then do you tell between roo and pullet - is it just a wait until they lay or crow waiting game?)

Have tried to capture front, top and wings in the pics below. Many thanks for looking!

IMG_4628.jpg
IMG_4630.jpg
IMG_4620.jpg

Back
Top Bottom