Wheaton genes

How do you know the difference in recessive / dominate and which is better for proper wheaten color? I have a bantam Ameraucana- wheaten rooster and blue wheaten rooster over wheaten hens. I just hatched chicks a few days ago from this group and some are more white and a couple are more yellow to the down. Do you know which chick phenotype will result in better color on adults? Here are the parents can you tell if they are recessive for dominant?
View attachment 2438125View attachment 2438126View attachment 2438127
Gorgeous birds by the way.

How do you know the difference in recessive / dominate and which is better for proper wheaten color? I have a bantam Ameraucana- wheaten rooster and blue wheaten rooster over wheaten hens. I just hatched chicks a few days ago from this group and some are more white and a couple are more yellow to the down. Do you know which chick phenotype will result in better color on adults? Here are the parents can you tell if they are recessive for dominant?
Those are very pretty birds. I don’t know the answer. I know Ameraucanas have both, one in buff and one in wheaten. Maybe @nicalandia knows?

Recessive and dominant look and mostly behave the same, except being completely recessive to wildtype e+,
Do you know which is in buff and which is in wheaten? I have a suspicion the buff version is dominant since buff is a fairly dominant color. Also I crossed a wheaten Am with a Welsummer once and the color was closer to duckwing than wheaten.

that is so cool! we wanted a bantam roo Ameraucana, but we think ours is an EE becauase he has green feet. he is becoming angrier because he can see the hens but cant get to them. he has started to become aggressive and afraid of us, we just hope he'll calm down after his quarantine - otherwise we'll have to sell him.

Back
Top Bottom