Wheaton Marans?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by msrma7670, Jan 15, 2010.

1. msrma7670

msrma7670 Chillin' With My Peeps

I may be able to get my hands on some wheaton maran eggs from a pretty good line off of ron presleys line.
    The question i have is it worth investing 50.00 for the 12 eggs.
    Do people really want this breed hence is it popular or forseen as popular.
    I love the colors and personaly enjoy the dark eggs
    but could get them from my other marans. What do you all think.

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have the Wheatens and though they are pretty and very good birds, I have never had much luck selling the eggs. They do not lay as well as my other Marans though the egg color is just as wonderful. My DH loves the Wheatens and that is the first reason I got them but I sure am feeding some chickens that aren't giving much back.

3. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

My wheatons were poor layers and took a long time to mature, them they hardly layed. Ate a lot too. I think the wheatons need someone to work on them to improve them.

4. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    On the other side of the world, my Wheatens lay well, good dark eggs, mature early, POL about 5-6 months,& never go broody.
    But a question, why do you want them? If it is only to make money?
    If so you would be better off getting rubbish BCs and selling every egg or bird and perpetrating the rubbish, their would be more money in it.
    David

5. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    Quote:David is correct. If you're wanting to buy them mainly because you want to be able to sell them, then you're better off with Black Coppers. It seems that most people want to buy that variety of marans because they generally lay the darkest eggs, but that's not always the case. I have black coppers but I'm in it more for the fun of trying to get them consistantly as close to the French standard as possible while improving the egg color. One reason that I'm developing a line of black marans is because they aren't in demand now so there aren't a lot of junk blacks out there muddying up the waters. When I get them right I 'll feel a sense of accomplishment. If you're wanting wheatons because you would like to add a different color variety to your Marans flock, that price wouldn't be unreasonable for good quality wheatens and Ron Presley has good quality birds.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    What good is buying chickens and feeding them and taking care of them if you can not sell any extras that they produce?
    We would never have any projects to work on if no one ever bred them except for the few people that want to keep them for themselves. If I can't sell the extra eggs I don't hatch then I can't very well afford to keep them around.
    Pretty is as pretty does and that means a working farm has to produce. Pretty chickens sell because others want them to be pretty in their yard as well.
    I love all the pretty chickens and would love to produce many more than I do but if they don't sell then they go in the stew pot which is ridiculous since others may like what I don't in the breed. Standards can only go so far. Some breeders have a keener eye than others and know what could improve a line of birds.

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    If you find Ron Presley eggs for fifty dollars and they are not shipped it is a good deal.

Whether or not they are worth it has everything to do with what your goal is. I have a number of his hens, they are beautiful, they lay poorly and lay a medium dark eggs. They need work on their combs and they need work on consistency in type.

They are very much a work in progress. I am seriously considering selling mine an focusing on a breed that needs less culling sorting and in general management. I wouldnt consider selling eggs until I feel like I have more consistency in the line I am breeding. I have a real hard time with the egg production in mine. They are all in prime laying age, getting good feed and a lot of light and nine females produce two to three eggs a day. Maybe in the spring we shall see.

8. msrma7670

msrma7670 Chillin' With My Peeps

thank you all for your answeres yall have given me much to thunk about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by