Wheels for a tractor/ark?

rebecuna

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
Having a hard time finding info on the best ways to attach wheels to a tractor. I don't even know what I'm looking for in buying them... go-cart wheels? Dolly wheels? Jogging stroller wheels? 10" wheels seem the most common on tractors, but they come in a lot of styles (pneumatic tires? Rubber tires w/ innertubes?) If they don't list the load bearing capacity, should I avoid them?
What do you think of these? : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WT1S0M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I also really would like some kind of retractable wheel mechanism, but that seems hard to design. I love the one that the Chicken Mobile Stagecoach uses (http://www.chickenmobilestagecoach.com/id67.html)-- a lever attached to the wheel mechanism that when pushed up, pushes the wheel down... anyone have plans for something like this? I can't quite visualize it enough to figure it out. This is their wheel package:

Can anyone help me identify what all that is for? And do you think the lever is wood or metal?

Thanks!

I saw in your other post that you want to build the Catawba Coop. I think you mentioned that others have had some complaints about that design so I thought I'd ask your reason for wanting this coop design. I'm assuming since you are asking about wheels you are looking for something portable. The Garden Ark at www.thegardencoop.com has wheels so you can look at how those look.

I saw in your other post that you want to build the Catawba Coop. I think you mentioned that others have had some complaints about that design so I thought I'd ask your reason for wanting this coop design. I'm assuming since you are asking about wheels you are looking for something portable. The Garden Ark at www.thegardencoop.com has wheels so you can look at how those look.

Yeah, didn't get any response there so I thought I'd try a more generic post :) I'm not actually doing the Catawba Coop, but it's a similar design (corrugated roofing panels for the sides instead of wood, and a larger frame-- 6x8-- which will hopefully be okay weight-wise since the sides aren't as heavy). The models I'm building from used old lawnmower tires as wheels, which got squished and bent out of shape. I just ordered some 10" pneumatic tires from Amazon so hopefully those will work! Still need to find a good way to attach them... anyone used a lever style to push the wheels into place under the tractor?

I do like the Garden Ark... that was our other frontrunner but I thought the A-frame would be easier to build bigger, since I need room for 6-7 birds. I could shorten the width to 5' maybe... wonder how much weight that would take off?

Back
Top Bottom