Wheezing and Pained Buff Brahma

Owlgirl7

Songster
5 Years
Jun 24, 2014
Ohio
Hi,

I have a 3 1/2 year old Buff Brahma bantam. I checked on the girls a few hours before sunset. Around sunset I brought them to their coop and noticed "Digger" was making strange rough vocalizations every time she breathed. I isolated her from the others and put her in a cage with pine chips and water. She gets louder and softer and preens her crop and acts as though she is trying to relieve some discomfort. She seems to have something hurting her in her crop. This was so sudden and none of the other girls are showing any other symptoms of anything. I tried feeding her some electrolyte formula but darkened the room again and let her alone when she excited and became more distraught. She seems fairly calm beside that and is eating and acting normal except for her voice and discomfort. She doesn't seem sick, but still her condition is getting worse.

What should I do? Is there a treatment I've skipped over? Anything to help her pass this, or am I missing something important? Please help my girl!

Wheezing and adjusting the crop may be signs of a respiratory disease. Is there any coughing or sneezing? Any nasal or eye drainage? I would look into the beak and throat for any foreign body with a flashlight. Antibiotics such as Tylan 50 and oxytetracycline may treat symptoms of a respiratory disease. Here is a good link to read about the common respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

We checked with a flash light as soon as we saw her in her condition and there was nothing in her throat. She has no other symptoms beside wheezing. She's better, we left in a dark room to sleep and now she is fairly calm and barely making a sound. Thanks for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom