Wheezing and sneezy, black spots on comb but already had fowl pox

Chickandroo

Chirping
Jul 15, 2021
Update: she has been separated from the others

Hi there. We have 7 chickens in a 13 x 9 run with a decent-sized hen house that are 11 months old. We use pine bedding. We live in a warmer climate, so the coldest temp lately is in the 40s.

We give them chicken feed along with vegetables , mealworms, scratch, oyster shell and grit-keeping to snack-size portions for the treats. They have been doing well and then suddenly today one of our Barred Rocks is wheezy and sneezing. She is also making a strange constant sound when she breathes out.
I haven't seen any strange looking droppings.

Also I just noticed that she has some dark spots on her comb like foul pox. They had that a while ago.

She is still eating and drinking and we don't see anything other indications of what it could be.
We are newer to this so could use some aid.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230203-150107_(1).png
    Screenshot_20230203-150107_(1).png
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
If there are no other respiratory symptoms (discharge, bubbles in the eyes, facial swelling) she may have just inhaled some food which can result in loud breathing and sneezing. If that is the case it should resolve by itself in a day.

Can't see anything wrong with the comb in the picture. If you want more advice on that you're going to need to hold her still and take a clear close-up photo of the spots.

If there are no other respiratory symptoms (discharge, bubbles in the eyes, facial swelling) she may have just inhaled some food which can result in loud breathing and sneezing. If that is the case it should resolve by itself in a day.

Can't see anything wrong with the comb in the picture. If you want more advice on that you're going to need to hold her still and take a clear close-up photo of the spots.

Update: she has been separated from the others

Hi there. We have 7 chickens in a 13 x 9 run with a decent-sized hen house that are 11 months old. We use pine bedding. We live in a warmer climate, so the coldest temp lately is in the 40s.

We give them chicken feed along with vegetables , mealworms, scratch, oyster shell and grit-keeping to snack-size portions for the treats. They have been doing well and then suddenly today one of our Barred Rocks is wheezy and sneezing. She is also making a strange constant sound when she breathes out.
I haven't seen any strange looking droppings.

Also I just noticed that she has some dark spots on her comb like foul pox. They had that a while ago.

She is still eating and drinking and we don't see anything other indications of what it could be.
We are newer to this so could use some aid.
Update: we gave her some vitamins and she seems to be doing a lot better. Thanks for all of the advice!

Back
Top Bottom