Wheezing chick

I'm sorry, I wish I was more helpful on this. I've not delt with gapeworm yet myself. It would seem odd that she is the only one with worms, but I can't figure out what else it might be. It could be MG like the other poster mentioned and the other two birds are carriers, I just don't have enough of a knowledge base to really make any more suggestions. I keep hoping someone with more information will chime in.

I do know that Wazine won't work for Gapeworm, it only works for round worm

Almost all of my birds have come from Ideal.

There has been a lot of post on here regarding Ideal and MG. As a matter of fact, most large commercial hatcheries do not state their birds are MG free. A bird can be a carrier of the disease and not appear to be ill, but expose another bird to them and it becomes ill.

Maybe if I keep responding it will at least keep the post near the top where someone with more experience can help.

Thank you for the reply. I have contacted the Arkansas Livestock and Poultry Commission and I am awaiting their reply. I really do not want to give antibiotics, because we want the eggs. Other than wheezing and sneezing, she seems fine. Today I feed them oatmeal and she was all over it, but she was drinking a lot of water. I did notice clear liquid on her nose today, but I am not sure if it was water or snot. I will check her again tonight.

I just checked sneezy again and she does not have any nasal secretions. I was thinking it was water earlier, but I wanted to confirm.

Assuming it is gapeworm, what would be the safest, but most effective method of removal? I have read about Verm-X, Ivomec, and Flubenvet. She is still months away from laying eggs, should I still be concerned about egg production, assuming she makes it that far? I cannot find anything that Ivomec/tine is actually available specifically for chickens.

I spoke with the lady from Verm-X USA and she was very helpful. She gave me some tips and said I needed to give the bird tetracycline.

Back
Top Bottom