Wheezing Chicken

dpahmiyer

Hatching
Mar 28, 2017
My chicken started wheezing a few days ago. I don't see worms in her theist, her crop seems fine, and I tried giving bread soaked in olive oil. Yesterday I started a water soluble antibiotic. She is still wheezing. I have a video on YouTube.
Any help would be appreciated!

She could have something stuck in her throat, or she may have a respiratory infection. Those can be viruses, such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) or others. Look into her throat for any yellow patches or gunk that could be infection. What antibiotic did you find, since most are by vet prescription only? Tylan 50 injectable can be given as a shot or orally. I would use 1ml for every 5 pounds 2-3 times a day for 5 days. Syringes(3ml) and 20 gauge needles are needed to get the medicine out of the bottle. Unless you are seeing a lot of eye or nasal drainage, or facial swelling, my guess is that it may be IB. Infectious bronchitis will hang around for around a month with sneezing being the most common symptom.

I am using Chloronex. A friend had some. There is no discharge from her eyes or nose. She does drink and eat some. Sometimes she seems to be breathing normally and then others does the wheezing like in the video. The other chickens all seem fine. It has been two and a half days since I removed her from the flock.

That is chlortetracycline, the same as aureomycin which can treat symptoms of mycoplasma (MG, MS,) and some intestinal infections in chickens. I don't know how to mix it or how much she needs to take. She doesn't seem all that ill, so I would just watch her. Actually, I would probably put her back in with the others, since they probably have already been exposed. If it is infectious bronchitis, she may be a carrier for 5 months up to a year. It is the most common respiratory virus and the lest serious. But secondary infections can occur. Hopefully the antbiotic will help to prevent those.

Back
Top Bottom