Wheezing? guess she just ate too fast and needed a drink

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by maralynn28, Jun 3, 2010.

1. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Let the duckies out this morning, they all took off to the food and started their eating/drinking routine. One ducky (my darker WH) started wheezing. I don't know if wheezing is the right word for it, at first I thought she had something in her throat because she kept making that noise after trying to drink. It's kinda likea weak cough?
    Other than that, she seems fine but I looked around the website and it has me so scared. [​IMG] I see a few duckies have died shortly after symptoms like this. [​IMG] There's no mold in their food or bedding that I know of, please please please tell me how long I should watch her...what I should do.
    I would be heartbroken if we lost a duckie but am honestly more concerned about my 8yr old who has kinda become their momma duck. I hope I don't need to take her into the vet or anything, a bit short on money AND time right now...FINALS week!
    Thanks for all your help in advance.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    My ducks do this all the time...its normal, don't worry [​IMG]

3. maralynn28

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thanks, I've been out with them all morning...refilled nasty pool etc. I was concerned since we've had like 2 straight wks of wet weather, it's very possible there is mold. She seems better now, they are all swimming happily in the fresh water and mucking it up good.[​IMG] I'm guessing it was my first thought and she just needed some more water to wash food down.

4. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Is this the same duck you posted about under emergencies? A bit of a bump too [​IMG]

5. maralynn28

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Nope....all is good. [​IMG] Thanks anyway!

6. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Yay!! Whew [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by