Wheezing hen...is this a problem?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jed1154, Dec 30, 2012.

1. jed1154

jed1154 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    One of my Silver Laced hens has begun wheezing or coughing in the evenings. I noticed it yesterday, and now again today. I went out a minute ago to take another listen, but after they all got roosted and settled, it seems as though it stopped. What is this and is it a problem? What should I do? I put a video up of what she does. I did not notice a nasal discharge or anything.

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    It looks like she could have gapeworm. This is a parasite that is lodged in the trachea, making it difficult to breathe. It can eventually lead to suffocation. They can be treated with fenbenzadole dewormer.
    Good luck!

3. pellyRdGirl

pellyRdGirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2012
    Where can one get fenbenzadole wormer? I've been treating my rooster that may or may not have this. We Took him to the vet this dec26 after we Noticed his crow first to sound horse and then the next morning(on x-mas day) his breathing labored. His comb and Wattles were extremely discolored from lack of oxygen. The vet gave him a steroid shot and a shot of ivermectin. ( with a follow up dosage 3 days later). We've been giving him ceftiflex for the past 4 days till we discovered particulars floating in the solution from a possible heat exposure. Now he is receiving SMZTMP. 1cc orally 2x's a day. His color is better. He doesn't have the rattle as much. Still not to interested in food. I hand feed what I can get down him. And water him as we'll. we're into our 5th day now. If he has gapeworm, can he still be treated for it. We have a flock of 40 chickens. No one else shows signs of infection. Thanks.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Sounds like a respiratory infection.

5. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    You can get Fenbendazole at Tractor Supply in the equine section.

Is her gasping still occurring?

6. pellyRdGirl

Dec 31, 2012
    It's my rooster, there isn't the rattle we use to hear, but it still is gasping for breath

7. pellyRdGirl

Dec 31, 2012
    The rooster passes away tonight. Thanks for the advice. I firmly believe he was miss diagnosed for gapeworm. I think i will just keep the stuff around just in case. Tomorrow we will bury him

8. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

Gape worm is not very common. I believe he had a respiratory infection. Keep an eye on the rest.

9. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Sorry for you loss.[​IMG]

10. pellyRdGirl

Dec 31, 2012
    I apologize for my bad grammar , still getting use to the ipad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by