Wheezing hen...is this a problem?

jed1154

Songster
14 Years
Jul 10, 2008
One of my Silver Laced hens has begun wheezing or coughing in the evenings. I noticed it yesterday, and now again today. I went out a minute ago to take another listen, but after they all got roosted and settled, it seems as though it stopped. What is this and is it a problem? What should I do? I put a video up of what she does. I did not notice a nasal discharge or anything.

It looks like she could have gapeworm. This is a parasite that is lodged in the trachea, making it difficult to breathe. It can eventually lead to suffocation. They can be treated with fenbenzadole dewormer.
Good luck!

Where can one get fenbenzadole wormer? I've been treating my rooster that may or may not have this. We Took him to the vet this dec26 after we Noticed his crow first to sound horse and then the next morning(on x-mas day) his breathing labored. His comb and Wattles were extremely discolored from lack of oxygen. The vet gave him a steroid shot and a shot of ivermectin. ( with a follow up dosage 3 days later). We've been giving him ceftiflex for the past 4 days till we discovered particulars floating in the solution from a possible heat exposure. Now he is receiving SMZTMP. 1cc orally 2x's a day. His color is better. He doesn't have the rattle as much. Still not to interested in food. I hand feed what I can get down him. And water him as we'll. we're into our 5th day now. If he has gapeworm, can he still be treated for it. We have a flock of 40 chickens. No one else shows signs of infection. Thanks.

Where can one get fenbenzadole wormer? I've been treating my rooster that may or may not have this. We Took him to the vet this dec26 after we Noticed his crow first to sound horse and then the next morning(on x-mas day) his breathing labored. His comb and Wattles were extremely discolored from lack of oxygen. The vet gave him a steroid shot and a shot of ivermectin. ( with a follow up dosage 3 days later). We've been giving him ceftiflex for the past 4 days till we discovered particulars floating in the solution from a possible heat exposure. Now he is receiving SMZTMP. 1cc orally 2x's a day. His color is better. He doesn't have the rattle as much. Still not to interested in food. I hand feed what I can get down him. And water him as we'll. we're into our 5th day now. If he has gapeworm, can he still be treated for it. We have a flock of 40 chickens. No one else shows signs of infection. Thanks.
You can get Fenbendazole at Tractor Supply in the equine section.

Is her gasping still occurring?

The rooster passes away tonight. Thanks for the advice. I firmly believe he was miss diagnosed for gapeworm. I think i will just keep the stuff around just in case. Tomorrow we will bury him

The rooster passes away tonight. Thanks for the advice. I firmly believe he was miss diagnosed for gapeworm. I think i will just keep the stuff around just in case. Tomorrow we will bury him
Sorry for you loss.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom