Wheezing Hen

Gossie

Chirping
Jun 14, 2015
I have a four year old wyandotte hen who started wheezing very loud sometime today. Yesterday she was acting completely normal. None of my other chickens are wheezing and everybody seems to be acting normal. I isolated her from the rest of the chickens. She is still eating and acting completely normal, maybe a little lethargic, but otherwise normal. She doesn't seem to be gasping for breath, she is just wheezing. There is no discharge coming from her nostrils. Every couple of minutes, she makes a sound like a hiccup. She is breathing with her mouth slightly open, but not open very wide. Does anybody know what this is and how I can help her?

Hi @Gossie How is your hen today?

Check her crop to see if it's emptying overnight. Feel the abdomen for any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid. Also take a look inside her beak for any obstruction, stuck food, etc. to see if this may be the cause of the wheezing. Look to see if there's any food/dirt blocking her nostrils. Any chance she got into anything moldy?

Wheezing can be from so many things - it's hard to know. Watch to see if she is drinking and eating o.k. If she is still wheezing with no other symptoms (discharge/mucous, coughing, etc.) you can try something like VetRx to see if that helps her out.
Let us know how she's doing.

Back
Top Bottom